Rough Idle

RobbieL

Reaction score
My car is idling rough at the minute - any quick fixes on how to sort it?

Seems to drop below 1k revs and nearly stall.

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body?
If not give it a go with some carb cleaner or something similar.

After that you will need to re-align the throttle body by disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU. Once you put the battery back on, switch on the ignition but DO NOT START IT just leave it on you will hear a click and whireing from under the bonnet for a few mins. After two mins turn the ignition off then re-start it.

Hopefully that will cure it :)

Ever time I've had a lumpy idle it's been down to a vacuum leak. Check all rubber pipes especially under the manifold. Also leaking intercooler pipe joints. One at the back of the engine on later cars is a bit poo.

Hi,
would any of these suggestions be the same for a TDI engine??? as mine started all of a sudden and for a diesel it is usually quiet and smooth when idling.

Vaccume leak, dirty throttle or the Green Coolant Temp Sender

They often get overlooked and they do contol some of the idle functions, could be worth looking into

Other one could be the infamous coilpacks, Ive seen instances of them arking off of the metal covering at tickover but performing perfectly well when the trottle is applyed

Check your air filter coz its often overlooked, could be shagged spark plugs too, check the gap which should be 0.9mm on a 1.8 petrol model or 1.0mm on the 1.8 petrol.