RNS-E

Niknak

Reaction score
Guys does anyone know which wie is the wire that is connected to the ignition sense on the back of an RNS-E?
Thankks
Ian

I didnt think there was a true ignition signal feed at the rear of the RNS-E. Isnt that information fed to the RNS-E via CAN?

What problems/issues are you having?

Ah that explans that. Issac i was trying to be clever and my blue tooth car kit needs an ignition sense feed so I thought i'd take it from the RNS-E, so the question now is where can I take a feed from?
Ian

Around the rear of the fusebox would be OK, You have a B6 so you might have a '75x' terminal. It should be under the fusebox behind the drivers side lower panel. Check these with a mutlimeter to find which is ignition live.

Guys does anyone know which wie is the wire that is connected to the ignition sense on the back of an RNS-E?
The RNS-E doesn't have an ignition wire - it reads the ignition on/off messages from the CAN bus.

If want ignition then the fuse box is the best place.

However, if you're powering e.g. a DVD player then ignition isn't the best place - because you won't be able to watch a DVD when you are parked up even though the RNS-E will still be on. In that case a relay controlled by the RNS-E pin D13 is the best plan.

niknak
i wouldnt bother with the ignition lead for your bluetooth kit, you dont really need it mate.

Ah but the issue I have is the light stays lit when the car is locked and I do not want it to drain the battery.

I am going to fit my Audi OEM Bluetooth Kit very soon...where is the best place to hook up the +12V ? A pic would be useful.....

Ah but the issue I have is the light stays lit when the car is locked and I do not want it to drain the battery.

Did you find the 75x terminal? If you cant find it then just pick a ignition feed from the fusebox.

Definately dont want permanent live on the Bluetooth Module, prefer switched +12V via ignition switch.....only thing I was thinking though is that if I am in mid conversation and switch off ignition then I assume I will lose Bluetooth in the Audi....from my searching of Navplus, dont think the Bluetooth can be kept on for a while like the RNS-e - shame that

I think you will want permanent live on the bluetooth but its upto you I guess!

See posts above for where to pick up an ignition live feed.

Definately dont want permanent live on the Bluetooth Module, prefer switched +12V via ignition switch.....only thing I was thinking though is that if I am in mid conversation and switch off ignition then I assume I will lose Bluetooth in the Audi....from my searching of Navplus, dont think the Bluetooth can be kept on for a while like the RNS-e - shame that
Your research has not found the full information yet ... BTW the information IS on navplus (I'm a moderator on there).

The OE Bluetooth module MUST be connected to permanent +12V (just like the RNS-E) - unless you want your calls to drop when you turn the ignition off, and you want it (and the RNS-E ,and the instruments, and the SCSM) to keep logging fault codes.

When wired to permanent +12V the Bluetooth module will stay on when you remove the key from the ignition if you are in a call, it will stay on until either you terminate the call, you lock the car or 30 minutes, whichever happens first.

Otherwise the OE Bluetooth module will turn off when it sees the commands on the CAN bus - exactly like the RNS-E does.

NIKNAK, the led light on the control unit switches itself of after a while once you are out of range and have lost connection mate, got one in mine and my van and never had any probs draining batteries.
why not try it for a while and see how you get on, then atleast you can use it whilst your trying to get the answers your looking for on the power side of things.