Rewiring mic for aftermarket head unit

bennyball

Reaction score
So my car had RNSE and a Bluetooth module from the factory. I've now fitted another headunit and wondered if I can use the standard mic?
Has anyone successfully rewired a 3.5mm jack onto the standard mic wiring to work with an aftermarket?

Yeah I have if you can try get a more expensive mic with noise cancelling

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have installed a Bluetooth module of eBay which uses a standard 3.5 mic. I placed the mic just behind the steering wheel. Works great.
I also got a microphone from EBay. Link. The one that fits on the lights compartment.
The goal was to fit a 3.5mm jack on the roof mic but it didn’t work.
But I cannot tell if that mic works at all.
It seems to have a little pcb board if it. Not just the classic round mic.

I hope yours work!

I didn't rewire the stock mic (there wasn't one), but put a standard, aftermarket mic in the stock place: in the map lights cluster above the gearstick. Super easy, including routing the wire to the back of the stereo.

I didn't rewire the stock mic (there wasn't one), but put a standard, aftermarket mic in the stock place: in the map lights cluster above the gearstick. Super easy, including routing the wire to the back of the stereo.
Do you have good sound quality from the mic at that position?
The one that I have that is placed right behind the steering wheel, is great and people usually don’t even notice that I am on Bluetooth.
I am afraid that if I root this mic on the lights cluster that the sound would be worst.
Will try though.

Do you have good sound quality from the mic at that position?
The one that I have that is placed right behind the steering wheel, is great and people usually don’t even notice that I am on Bluetooth.
I am afraid that if I root this mic on the lights cluster that the sound would be worst.
Will try though.

I can't be sure about the quality, because I never hear myself (obviously!), but I've never had any complaints from anyone that they can't hear me. I just figured that it would be suitable position as that's where Audi put them, and I was more concerned about hiding it and being tidy, than sound quality.

Reactions: George Kost
I recently installed a JVC CarPlay/Android Auto unit into my 8P 12-plate A3 Cabriolet. Initially I couldn't figure out what to do with the microphone - I got it all the way from the unit and up the A-pillar without any problems but it was then ugly and unsightly. Eventually I managed to route it all the way into the same location as the factory-fit microphone. The sequence was:
  • Pull off the rubber cover at the top of the A-pillar (first photo)
  • Remove the top panel containing the courtesy lights and microphone (second photo). To do this prise from the windscreen side and pull down.
  • I removed the vanity light over the passenger sun visor as a 'half-way along' access point.
  • Using a piece of stiff wire I managed to get a complete route through from the top of the A-pillar to the centre panel. It took quite a lot of fiddling and some gynaecology tools would have been useful but eventually I got it though.
  • You will have to remove the 3.5mm plug on the microphone and thread through from the top panel back to the head unit. Then you will need to solder a new plug when you get it there!
  • I removed the factory mic (actually I put it in the passenger side in case I ever re-fit the Concert radio).
  • My microphone fitted in the cylindrical hole where the factory mic was - a turn of cloth tape secured it.
  • And now I have marvellous call and voice control from a completely invisible microphone!
  • I did wonder if the factory mic would have worked if I connected it but didn't try that.
DSC 0059

DSC 0058