Returning to B5 ownership - S4, what to look out for...?

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
Well, it's been (and still is at the moment) an extended visit into M3 ownership, but I've been offered a trade with a '99 S4 Avant in silver (surprise, surprise) that's done 131k.

It's just had belts, waterpump, tensioners & rollers done, along with brakes and tyres. So at least one of the major headaches has been remedied.

What else do I need to be aware of when checking it over? I was fairly confident with my last 1.8T A4... it's the 2.7T unit that scares me a little.

Any advice or hints & tips would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Giles

Ha. I just popped onto the forum tonight to see who was around. I think you moved on just before me...I'm getting rid of my current hack in favour of a permanent two wheel option ( I KNOW!) and thinking of returning (if need be) to a B5 tdi... glad to see someone else is revisiting audi-sport.net. Who know's maybe I'll be a regular fixture again too. Re. S4's not much input other than make sure it's a got a tow bar for the extra fuel tank ...;O)

might be a bit premature but welcome back folks!

LOL

Now then chaps!

The M3 isn't exactly the most economical of vehicles, so I would think the S4 would be about the same with regards to MPG figures.

I've been in touch with the insurance company and it's going to cost me an extra £98 to insure the S4 over the M3. I've been in touch with the S4 owner to get the ball rolling.

The S4 that is involved is this one... HERE

Thoughts please...

Vagcom scan, and a boost leak test is essential.

Suspension and running gear is all more or less the same as any other B5, so the same foibles present there.

Be aware though, that the turbos wont last forever, and its an engine out job to replace them. If i owned an S4 i think i'd want to have a "turbo replacement fund" sitting at the ready just incase. When they fail, most people look at replacing them with K04's of some description.

Will have my trusty fault code reader with me when we meet up.

It's the turbos that are troubling me and I can't rely on the fact it's an Avant so will have been treated well (due to it being a 'family' car).

Am I doing the right thing?

My advice is to find one of the later B5 S4s (or 2001.5s which were produced after 10/00) with lower mileage which have had the internal revisions made (revised stronger turbos, no f-hose, revised TBB, different oil inlet lines). They also have the newer badges front and rear but some of the older ones on the cusp may have done to..

not sure if its an issue .. its a pre face, so it wont be quite like your old b5

My advice is to find one of the later B5 S4s (or 2001.5s which were produced after 10/00) with lower mileage which have had the internal revisions made (revised stronger turbos, no f-hose, revised TBB, different oil inlet lines). They also have the newer badges front and rear but some of the older ones on the cusp may have done to..

That would be great, but no facelift S4 owner is offering me a deal with the M3 I'm afraid!

I know it's a pre-facelift... but I'm sure I can live with it! I can already see myself having a play with it (H&R springs and B6 S4 rims to replace the RS4 Reps it's got on there at the moment...!)

If the deal comes off this coming weekend, I'll be posting lots of "can I do this?" questions... :thumbsup:

Make sure it doesn't smoke on boost, engine out job for the twins

I have it! (and I kinda love it)

Doesn't smoke or rattle or knock. Excellent. But, it DOES smell of dog. So, I've given up trying to clean it and I'm going to take it to get the interior valeted...

The wiper motor is REALLY noisy, so that will get replaced soon. Also, I've noticed that one of the small pipes coming off the bottom of the dump valves is frayed and more than likely leaking... so I'm going to go around the bay and replace all the little pipes that I'm not happy with.

There's a few marks on the bodywork... but nothing drastic.

There's no spare wheel! Now that IS drastic. On the hunt for one as we speak.

The crappy RS4 reps are coming off tomorrow to be replaced with B6 S4 rims and some 40mm springs (you'll be glad that I'm not slamming it on the floor like I did the Sport - sighs of relief from Mark and Aragorn!)

Then I'll get some before & after shots up for you all.

Happy! (for now)

Reactions: Broken Byzan
I'd double check it's not the linkage is siezing.

Apparently, the previous owner had it all apart and cleaned/checked it... and it was still noisy. It's only £30 delivered for a replacement.

Also, does anyone have a spare rear engine-bay plastic cover thing that protects the battery area? Could do with one of those too...

It doesnt have the battery cover because its a pre-facelift.

You can fit one, but you need the two big plastic trims from the bottom edge of the window as well as they're differnet on facelift cars.

Huh... I never knew that. I thought that all A4/S4's had them.

Aragorn is right. Pre-facelifts did not have the battery covers.

So Geeman, how do you find it compared to your M3?

I dont think he rates it that highly. Hes trying to move it on, on the other forum :)

Not trying to move it on, but I saw an opportunity to sell it... and get something a bit younger with a few less miles.

Loving it. B6 S4 rims now on.

With regards to the rain tray... I compared it to a friends facelift S4 last night... and the lower windscreen covers are exactly the same... so I think the scuttle tray is just missing. The hunt for a replacement is on.

It's not as quick as the M3. The M3's power was instant, where as the S4 is smoother and comes in later. The traits of a turbo car I guess. It's nicer to drive though... and MUCH more practical with it being an estate.

Pics this weekend.

I do have one problem though... I'm having to run 3mm spacers up front for the wheels to clear the calipers. I find that very strange. Maybe I've got some hybrid brake set-up. Will start a new thread about that.