Replacing Rear Number Plate

fast-ferret

Reaction score
Hi all, just about to replace my rear number plate, I want to avoid screws or holders (just going to use double sided tape), but after removing the rear plate I have this foam, has anyone else done this and also got the same foam? I don't really think using tape on foam is a great idea, but I'm not sure what other options there are - if I remove the foam then I'm sticking the plate directly to the boot paintwork which seems like it's inviting a lot of scratching!

Is this foam normal? I expected to see a plastic backing...

0d3cc071de4fce10199395cbbddf1af5.jpg

I just took the foam off and used about 7 or 8 number plate sticky pads. It wasn't going to vibrate or rattle after that! It certainly hasn't scratched.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I just took the foam off and used about 7 or 8 number plate sticky pads. It wasn't going to vibrate or rattle after that! It certainly hasn't scratched.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ah fair enough, I felt a bit reluctant to remove it - I thought there would be a plastic bracket behind or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah fair enough, I felt a bit reluctant to remove it - I thought there would be a plastic bracket behind or something.

I found the easiest way to get it off. Is (if you've got some available) petrol on a cloth. Dab it over the area let it soak and it will soften the adhesive.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Ive also removed the foam & I used a caramel wheel to do this.

Hi all, just about to replace my rear number plate, I want to avoid screws or holders (just going to use double sided tape), but after removing the rear plate I have this foam, has anyone else done this and also got the same foam? I don't really think using tape on foam is a great idea, but I'm not sure what other options there are - if I remove the foam then I'm sticking the plate directly to the boot paintwork which seems like it's inviting a lot of scratching!

Is this foam normal? I expected to see a plastic backing...

0d3cc071de4fce10199395cbbddf1af5.jpg
Don't fancy a Audi Sport surround? Looks good I think

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/genuine-audi-sport-number-plate-surround-holder.372566/

agree, neither am I normally, but replaced my surround-less plate (with dealer cr*p) on bottom tab with one of these on the back, means I have no screw heads showing, but appreciate you can achieve the same with velcro etc as others do.

Attachments

• numberplate.jpg
    numberplate.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 505
As said above I removed the foam aswell used no nails take to secure abs have had no issues with it !

I was a bit worried about scratching the paint as it’s a metal plate, but I suppose if I put tape near the edges it should be fine

Well ****** me. I bought a toothed caramel wheel in readiness for what I assumed would be an epic battle with the foam backing, and it came off clean using fingers only in about 2 minutes!

Fitted back using “Sanojtape Heavy Duty Double Sided Tape Clear 12mm x 10m” from Amazon - Amazon product - I did get sent some pads by the seller of the plates but I didn’t know how good they were and this tape was highly reviewed so used it instead.

Came off very clean:

54a0a7bea3bfd59ea367ae4633308858.jpg

Then fitted back by re-screwing the original plate in and using masking tape to mark where it sat, then removed and measure everything up (shifted a few mm as a result). Ended up accidentally touching the car with the tape before properly aligning and bent the plate slightly whilst trying to wrench it off - this tape is strong stuff!!

Looks good:

8aa85dd6f80c15e965bca068bc656f11.jpg

b90e15f304ebaa2593fb731611639874.jpg

Reactions: jdp1962