Replacing engine / emissions

Reaction score
Hello . I was wondering if its possible to replace an engine to an a3 sportback 8v 2.0 150 hp to 2.0 186 hp or even the same but newer and if this is going to change emissions class . Currently the car is 2014 euro 5 . So I was wondering if for example I replace the engine with a newer lets say 2016 the emissions will change to euro 6?
Living in Europe and want to know if its possible. Thank you .

Buy another car....

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bishop187 and Dubjam
I ve heard that audi a3 8v from 2013 meet euro 6 criteria just when euro 6 didn't existed when the cars came out . So it's possible that the engine meets euro 6 criteria but on the paper it stayed euro 5?

Unless you've spent £££££££ on creating a show car, it's a pointless and expensive exercise.

Just trade it in and buy a new car. But I feel your pain as Euro5 cars dropped in value massively once it was outlawed, I had to sell my previous 8P because of this soon after I bought it.

There’s no way to change the euro 5/6 category at least in the UK as that could change the tax rules on road tax and company car tax. It’s registered for life as it came out the factory which I would assume is the same in Europe.
It wouldn’t be cost effective even if they let you do that cause they would want lab tests, simulated road test, and all the stuff that manufactures pay thousands/millions for every new model.

Just the audi a3 8v wearing the same machine 2014 and 2016 models you understand?
With respect, I think we all understand, but I am not sure if you do, or are not listening to the advice given.

I presume your country has some form of MOT testing procedure and a vehicle licensing department? you will need to check with them if you can change the classification after a conversion, and thats just a starting point. Then you'd also need to talk to Audi as your car will have to have all its data footprint overwritten etc. It will be ridiculously complicated, and simply not worth it, not in the UK anyway.

In the past imported car's did avoid certain emission regulations, I know my Impreza ended up on a much lower tax rate than the equivalent UK models after it's IVA test - this included certain things that needed to be done to the car to pass this test to make it UK road legal. I am not sure if this is the same now as it was ten years ago when I last imported a car. But kinda irrelevant as your car isn't an import and everywhere is much stricter with emissions now, especially with diesels.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Just the audi a3 8v wearing the same machine 2014 and 2016 models you understand?
I understand but there could be more than just the physical engine, things like fuel maps, different dpf, catalyst, adblue etc would make it different enough for euro 6. It’s not worth trying as it’s not cost effective. better selling the 2014 and getting a 2016 as you will spend less money than an engine conversion. Not a huge price difference between a 2014 to 2016 compared to the thousands you will spend on an engine conversion.
also between the 2014 and 2016 facelifts the a3 was lighter with aluminium panels here and there so could emit less pollution getting it into the euro 6 category.

The problem is that I already made some adaptions:( also I think I will lose alot of money by selling it ... And I can't see a difference between 2016 8v and 2014 8v engine... I think they aren't using adblue. My theory is that when my car manufactured it's just euro 6 didn't existed so they puted euro 5 which was the newest atm . But I think that engine compliance euro 6 criteria. I don't know ...

Euro 6 was around in 2014. My 2014 a6 2.0 tdi ultra 190bhp was a euro 6 car. That had adblue where as my 2013 a6 2.0 177bhp was a euro 5

The vehicle gets homologated for the emission market, it’s not just the engine hardware but it’s the fuel map turning closely matched by the transmission calibration (it has to do a specific drive cycle to achieve the certification), likewise the 184hp uses a larger turbo, different injectors…

Since you have exhausted the forum, you should now make your own enquiries with the relevant authorities to see what they state