Replacement OEM S5 Chrome tips

Joetidman

Reaction score
So after not nearly a year in, and despite intermittent care with Autosol, I think one of my tips is already corroded beyond repair...anyone know where I might buy a replacement and if it’s easy to pull off and attach a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've linked to a different version and year to that of a 2017 S5. If they are anything like the S4 then they are part of the rear silencer assembly...

Reactions: Daggerit
You've linked to a different version and year to that of a 2017 S5. If they are anything like the S4 then they are part of the rear silencer assembly...

Yeah you’re right, they’re welded on as well.

I’d be going to the dealers if they are marked in less than a year.

Reactions: Joetidman
Those puppies are tack-welded on for sure.
IMG 3474

How annoying then. Sounds like an expensive replacement...

I put this in the a4 b9 thread, can they not be ground off?

Of course yes, but most people will probably not want to attempt it, In the chance of grinding through the exhaust pipe itself. You'd want to take the whole system out so you could get an appropriate angle.

And I have the DIY skills or a hairless ape, so no chance of that. Best I could manage is jacking it up and using a screwdriver and a mallet...

And I have the DIY skills or a hairless ape, so no chance of that. Best I could manage is jacking it up and using a screwdriver and a mallet...

Take it to a custom exhaust shop.
This is a very simple thing for any competent exhaust tech.

So after not nearly a year in, and despite intermittent care with Autosol, I think one of my tips is already corroded beyond repair...anyone know where I might buy a replacement and if it’s easy to pull off and attach a new one?

I don't understand, you have a S5, which is damn near identical in drivetrain to the S4, so why wouldn't frequently view the S4 section, like S4 owners do in the S5 section, to learn about these common issues. Doesn't that make commonsense? There is also the 'search' field.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/does-warranty-cover-pitted-corroded-exhaust-tips.338313/page-2

The exhaust system is one piece, back from the tips to almost the driver's feet. The tips are welded top and bottom and are cheap, chromed steel welded to a stainless steel system. A well respected exhaust company who use laser/CAD & computerised mandrel benders I took the vehicle to, were extremely reluctant to cut anywhere near the muffler outlet pipe, but before the valving (rhs), as they were most concerned they may damage the valving. I concurred, thinking many $$'s if I had to replace it.