Replaced Temp Sensor but still have 17700 code

localknoxville

Reaction score
Hello, I've just replaced my temp sensor on my 2.0 B6 A4 petrol engine, the 16500 implausible signal code has now gone and the temp gauge is working as it should but now it's showing 17700 thermostat open circuit, any ideas what this is about?? There's no leaks or anything and like I say the temp gauge is working all good now
Cheers

Ross Tech

17700/P1292/004754 - Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265): Open Circuit
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes
  • Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265) faulty
  • Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265)
  • Check/Replace Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265)

Cheers mate, any idea where the fuse is located for this??

Ross Tech

17700/P1292/004754 - Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265): Open Circuit
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes
  • Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265) faulty
  • Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265)
  • Check/Replace Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265)

Just had a look through Autodata and ESLA and can't find a fuse for F265 in either. I somehow doubt the fuse and I am guessing it shares a circuit with other components. What year and engine code is the car?

Clear all your codes unplug the new temp sensor rescan the car and see if you still have the 17700 code.

Last edited:
This is the wiring diagram I am looking at

ScreenShot087

There are two coolant temp sensors, one is at the bottom of the radiator, not sure if that would have any bearing on this problem though.