Removing pin from paddle shifters.

FIREWORKKS

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Does anybody know how to remove the pin from the paddle shifter without drilling from the bottom?

Thanks

Yeap, you need to use a stanley blade & push down into the visible pin & then kinda slide it along, the thin edge of the blade gets traction on the pin edge & it allows it to move, done it plenty of times, works with trial & error.

Once the pins out a little, you can use the same method to slide it further out from the visible end.

Yeap, you need to use a stanley blade & push down into the visible pin & then kinda slide it along, the thin edge of the blade gets traction on the pin edge & it allows it to move, done it plenty of times, works with trial & error.

Once the pins out a little, you can use the same method to slide it further out from the visible end.
Thankyou so much for your reply mate. So I just take a stanley blade and try to push the pin off the bottom where the purple circle is?

Also, can you confirm PFL RS3 paddles can swap with this?

No, you're not trying to get to the end of the pin to lever along by prying, you need to push the blade down onto the red pin round edge, it will kinda make a tiny mark, this will allow the blade to gain traction against the edge of the pin, then keep applying pressure on the pin edge & try shuffling the pin along, so to speak, so the red pin slides along the green tube thus giving you enough of the head to then use the blade to drag it out from that end.

I just woke up so maybe not articulating well.

No, you're not trying to get to the end of the pin to lever along by prying, you need to push the blade down onto the red pin round edge, it will kinda make a tiny mark, this will allow the blade to gain traction against the edge of the pin, then keep applying pressure on the pin edge & try shuffling the pin along, so to speak, so the red pin slides along the green tube thus giving you enough of the head to then use the blade to drag it out from that end.

I just woke up so maybe not articulating well.
not sure if i understand.. if you dont mind, can you make a diagram or video for me? :)

also, do you know the difference between 4H0951523D and 4H0951523E? i am wondering if they are both direct replacements for my 2016 RS3 paddles

Sorry cant as quite busy today.

Just look at your diagram, lift the blade from the prying end, then push the blade downward in a straight direction onto the pin surface, this will indent it slightly enough to put some leverage to shuffle the pin along in the hole, you may have to do this multiple times to get the pin head out the other end.

You should be able to get a thin tool in the bottom hinge hole and gently push the pin up enough to grab it with long nose pliers or similar.

103132328631755f21c3557fd868c26c.jpg

6127a6cae1f3ec9e984e3ca1dbee0e06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually they're blocked of in some form the other end to stop it working its way along & out, which given how tight it is, probably unlikely, but prevention is the best way, hence why I dont make a hole, now of course you can make a hole & push through then reseal, but of course being super careful not to affect the mechanism or pcb etc, but 100% always works the way I've explained, I actually dismantled mine recently again to paint certain parts.

You should be able to get a thin tool in the bottom hinge hole and gently push the pin up enough to grab it with long nose pliers or similar.

103132328631755f21c3557fd868c26c.jpg

6127a6cae1f3ec9e984e3ca1dbee0e06.jpg

I think this is the FL paddles, which I think do have a hole at the bottom to access the pin (unlike PFL).

Usually they're blocked of in some form the other end to stop it working its way along & out, which given how tight it is, probably unlikely, but prevention is the best way, hence why I dont make a hole, now of course you can make a hole & push through then reseal, but of course being super careful not to affect the mechanism or pcb etc, but 100% always works the way I've explained, I actually dismantled mine recently again to paint certain parts.
Indeed, I have actually drilled my set of paddles at the bottom. If you drill at the wrong angle / too deep, you will actually make the pin not lodge properly and there will be some play in that section - causing the paddles to wobble and not be seated correctly. This is why I need new paddles now ^_^

Sorry cant as quite busy today.

Just look at your diagram, lift the blade from the prying end, then push the blade downward in a straight direction onto the pin surface, this will indent it slightly enough to put some leverage to shuffle the pin along in the hole, you may have to do this multiple times to get the pin head out the other end.
I kinda of get it now. So using a stanley knife or flathead screwdriver to dig into the pin so we can get leverage? Then prying it upwards until we can access the bottom of the pin, at which point we can just push it out?

Paddles may not fit, ideally get good pics of both & compare rear fixings side by side, as I was researching changes & decided to paint mine, ironically now there are modules that convert lin versions to allow different wheels & paddles to be used on various cars, but the paddle fixings, dimensions & rear of wheel sockets are different.

I kinda of get it now. So using a stanley knife or flathead screwdriver to dig into the pin so we can get leverage? Then prying it upwards until we can access the bottom of the pin, at which point we can just push it out?

Yeah basically thats it, but the stanley needs to of course be sloping to the left then lever across to the right, they do move trust me.

You could probably repair yours, any pics of the damage.

I think this is the FL paddles, which I think do have a hole at the bottom to access the pin (unlike PFL).

Correct, but I’ve fitted several aftermarket paddles on earlier cars that have the one way pin arrangement, each time I’ve inserted a thin tool to get the pin moving first before pulling it out the other end.

Yeah basically thats it, but the stanley needs to of course be sloping to the left then lever across to the right, they do move trust me.

So basically, using a stanley blade to cut out a little ledge into the pin so you can get some leverage to use a flathead to push it upwards?

I have already used glue in the hole I drilled to hold the pin in place, it is not perfect but 95% there. Once you get the paddles on the car, you cannot notice the difference.

I have bought a new set of paddles anyway. Another user has confirmed 4H0951523E from A3/S3 is direct swap with the RS3's paddles (8V0951523INZ). Not sure if 4H0951523D will fit - they look pretty similar, save for a few small details on the face which goes against the wheel - although the lip that goes around appears the same.

Hey mate, just received my new set of donor paddles. If you could spare the time, could you please make a small demonstration for me?