relaced cv boot now i have a noise at 35-40 mph A4 B5 2.6 v6

daz616

Reaction score
i have just changed the front offside cv boot on my a4 b5 2.6 and now when i get to 35-40 there is a rumble which gets worse when you speed up and let off the throttle now im thinking i have disturbed the wheel bearing when i took the drive shaft out anyone had this problem before

thanks in advance

did you regrease the cv? it might have a load of crap in it if the boot had split

i did grease it but im going to take it off again and pack it again just incase i missed somthing

You need to unbolt the bearing to remove the CV....

The bearing needs tightened to about 200NM, so have you tightened it correctly?

that answers a question i was gonna ask about 150ft/lbs in old money then? as ive gotta do one on my 1.8tq but it seems ive got v6 driveshafts as its got 30 teeth on the shaft

i would say i havent i just did the hub bolt up with a breaker bar

well to be fair, the tightening instructions are something like "tighten to 90nm then 180 degrees" and i've never managed to get the full 180 degrees yet.

So as long as you hoofed it up as much as you could with a breaker bar you're most likely fine.

Adesb5: all TQS's have 85mm front bearings and the larger CV joints.

aragorn mate thats what i ordered but didnt fit the shaft, fitted the hub,after a little investigation it was found to have 25mm shaft with 30 splines which is what the v6 cars should have so ive been told.numbers on the shaft are 8do 407 272 ah/ j2 ah if that meens anything to you shaft seems to have been there from new it dont look like its been touched, date after the barcode is 14/4/99,all i know is the one for the 1.8tq dont fit,but then again it dont meen the shaft aint been changed at some time in the past.
cheers fella
adie

right bit of an update took the shaft back out regreased both cv joints put back on took for test drive still got the rumble then took it out of gear and the rumble stops !! think it might be the gearbox not good !!