Recent Vag Based Cars - Styling Opinions....

Imola-S3

Reaction score
Ayup.
Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on the recent line ups of cars from Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda.
Whilst I'm not doubting the engines / performance of these cars I personally feel that some of the styling really has become unoriginal, or worse than it's predecessors.

For instance, the new Audi A3, Seat Leon and VW Golf... remove the badge from the back of the car and you've pretty much got the same looking car. Granted, the front end's are all different and look OK but what's going on with these back ends?

I don't reckon much to the new A3... I prefer the lights from the MK2 3 Door... I don't think the lights suit the car when they go right over into the tail gate.

Same with the new A6... Them lights are a serious downgrade from the previous model. You could tuck a jacking kit underneath that lip.

I felt Audi had the styling just right on the 8N A3 / S3's... but they seem to have done a 'Ford Focus' and messed up the looks for these newer models.

It's like the MK4 Golf.... they've never improved upon those looks. The car suited those boxy looks, the GTI and R32 still look quite fresh even to this day. I feel as though the Polo should've been the Golf (same looks, just make it bigger). The Golf suits being boxy looking, not all smooth with lights that go right over on to the tail gate. Improve upon the MK4's design.

Even the old Audi A4 B6 chassis with a S-Line or Votex kit still looks fresh... they got the look spot on with that model. Only thing you could've improved on them were the front bumper, using the newer style grilles. I still think that with the right kit they're one of the best looking Saloons on the road. The C7 Audi A6 S-Line was the only car since that's caught my eye.

I don't know... maybe I'm just a sucker for the older models, does anyone else feel that Audi and VAG are losing their touch with regards to the looks of their new models.

Regarding the latest rear lights, I'm with you on the styling, it seems a backwards step, but it all makes sense when the sun goes down and they flick them on! I really like the current rear lights of the Audi range, they make the cars look sexy ay night! I see them as part of the current model range now, and got use to them.

From the bodystyling point of view, it's a case of if it aint broke, don't fix it! Audi's are selling by the bucket load because of their styling, and they have to keep cars up to date and subtle at the same time, which is the same formula as the VW Golf since the dawn of time, to keep updates simple.

I can agree that the lights look really well on a night.... just don't seem to suit some of their cars. Especially them new A6's.

The front ends on them have all been spot on since 2005 when they all moved over to the big one piece grilles, but you never know what model Audi it is that you've got behind you as they're all so similar!

The A5's are probably the best all round looking motor... they got the rear lights about as good as they could considering.

I just preferred the rear lights from the 8N A3, B6 A4 and C6 A6... which all kept the light unit on the sides rather than on the tail gate.

This sort of sums things up

fry-meme-audis.jpg

Yes they all look similar, but thats not a bad thing, they all look great :)

Reactions: DieselJake, Pulp84 and jojo
I agree to a point that the styling - it is always an evolution with Audi. However think the 8V has made the 8P look quite dated interior and exterior wise and the lights do add to this. Don't get me wrong, the 8P was in my opinion still "fresh" looking in 2012 when the last ones were built and was the benchmark in quality as is still the case with the 8V which was a testament to the quality of its design.

Would add I think many other car manufacturers struggle to balance the looks, quality and style as well as VAG designers. Can't say there are many brands I think that way about......

Brennan, i think you forgot to add the A3 in there as well now (saloon).

Reactions: Brennan