Help Please Rear wiper arm reset? No longer returning to ‘parked’ position!

cyhliu

Reaction score
Not having much luck with my car this year, a proper annus horribilis for me in respect of my car.

Anyway, will post about it in another post shortly but I noticed a few days ago that I had started my car and my rear windscreen wiper started wiping without me pushing down on the steering wheel arm and stopped mid-screen without returning to the usually position (bottom right when looking from at it from the rear).

Now every time I start the car it does this and fails to return back. Even after I try the rear wash, it will stop either mid-screen or to the left. I’ve given it a few days thinking (hoping) it would fix itself but no luck.

Has anyone else had this and know what it could be down to? And how to fix? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any wiper gremlins are usually the result of water ingress. Valeo make the rear wiper motor, and it’s VAG’s Achilles heal. A copper pipe runs through the motor to the water jet. Freezing temperatures and metal fatigue and you’ll see the signs, such as intermittent wipe, or water on the base of the hatch.

Pick a half decent day and strip out the rear hatch trim. Plastic trim removal tools are handy. It could be the wiper stalk, but I think it’s the motor on the way out.

Motor everytime pretty much, I've done this several time's now on various b6 avants and unless you have a puller tool I wouldn't attempt it as no amount of penetrating oil would loosen the shaft of the wiper arm you need to remove to replace the motor.
One of the reasons I went for a saloon this time believe it or not lol!

• Wow
Reactions: spartacus 68
Sounds similar to an issue I had. I didn’t see water leaks in the boot but when I took the trim off there were signs of leaks. I caught it just in time. I unplugged the motor and disconnected and blocked the washer feed until I managed to get a new motor. I also ordered a new washer jet as these just corrode and get blocked.