Rear Leg-room A4 vs A3 for childseats?

mjcourtney

Reaction score
I am currently looking at upgrading my A3 Sportback to the new A4 Avant. One of the reasons for this is the extra boot space as i'm hoping we can get a pram lengthways in the boot (it does fit in the A3 boot sideways but completely fills it!).

We are also now looking at rear-facing childseats as our daughter is about to out-grow her baby seat. We've tried out a few rear-facing seats in the A3 and they're all a very tight fit as they end up pressed up against the passenger seat - is the A4 any better in this regard? From the demonstrator A4 I borrowed it didn't seem like there was much extra room at all in the rear seats in comparison to the A3.

I will be trying to borrow an A4 Avant for a longer test drive in a few weeks, but if anyone has any experience with this i'd be interested to hear it.

I recently got an A4 Avant for the same reasons. We've also just upgraded from a Maxi-cosi pebble to pearl. Its a rear facing seat that will do him until he's 4 (he's 10 months now). We have an iCandy pushchair, and it sits lengthways in the boot fine alongside the seat part of the pushchair. Still plenty of room for some bits and pieces. Managed that plus luggage down to Cornwall recently.

You're supposed to leave about a hands width between the child seat and the front seat on the car. We have him on the passenger side of the car in the rear, and even keeping that gap, there's tonnes of legroom in front. You just can't have the passenger seat all the way back. In the back, the middle seat is still usable, but a bit of a squeeze if you have adults in the back.

In my wife's Golf, and the same setup the front passenger seat is just slightly too far forward, so I wouldn't want to sit there for any long journeys, and given that's similar to the A3, I'd say there's a smidge more room.

Reactions: mjcourtney
Really useful reply, thanks! Do you have the pearl or the new 2-way pearl? The 2-way pearl seemed quite large in the a3.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Got the 2 way pearl and 2 way fix base

Have two Maxi-Cosi Milo Fix, one front facing behind passenger seat and rear facing behind driver no issues with space. Boot easily fits Out n About double pram or two Smart Trikes. Wife has Q3 which has more boot space and around same space when child seats fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both! I think that just confirms that I should be more worried about fitting the car seat in the wife's fiesta instead!

Provided the a4 meets with the wife's approval when we test drive it I'll hopefully be ordering one beginning of September - should make a nice upgrade from the a3 :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk