Radio, MMI Screen, Ignition Issues

Vins

Sepang S3
Reaction score
I've searched many forums and not finding any answers... here's the downsides of having an oil change at other garages, apposed to Audi...

The S3 has been in today for an oil change and all is well on that side of things but they have reset the service light and I think this is why I now have the issue below..

I pull up on the drive, take the key out of the ignition and now the screen does NOT go down and the radio stays ON.... Very annoying.

I would take it back to the garage but they are an hour away, I called them and they said bring it back in when you can.

Any ideas? Quick fixes?

Does it go down when you lock the car ?

All working now after leaving it for an hour! Thread may be deleted or keep open so others with the same issue know to leave it for an hour! :wink:

Reactions: pburv
All working now after leaving it for an hour! Thread may be deleted or keep open so others with the same issue know to leave it for an hour! :wink:
A very odd issue that one....:huh:
Glad it's sorted mate...:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68
Oil in the radio ???

Reactions: Vins, pburv and S3_Blue
Oil in the radio ???
Lol..Have to agree if you put the wrong type of oil in the radio it will throw up a fault very similar...:whistle2:

Reactions: Max-Robbo and Rob2k68
That is good then, perhaps they had left the radio on, or turned it off by hand ?, the car is pretty clever though and will sort itself, the other day i was disconnecting the door lights and when I put the bulbs back in they stopped working, i looked at the other side and they were working !!, I thought i had broken them, ignition off and on again and they worked fine, i did panic though LOL.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
This brings up a question for me.. On mine with keyless start, when I turn off the ignition, the MMI, screen etc stays on, it will only switch off when I open the door, is this the factory default setting for everyone? Or there's VCDS setting to have them turn off with ignition?

This brings up a question for me.. On mine with keyless start, when I turn off the ignition, the MMI, screen etc stays on, it will only switch off when I open the door, is this the factory default setting for everyone? Or there's VCDS setting to have them turn off with ignition?

Mine is a brand new 2016 and does exactly this ( i have keyless too)

Last edited:
Pretty sure my screen folds down when I take the keys out - will check when I'm back to the car.

Edit : keyless could well operate upon the door opening. No VCDS mod for this behaviour as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: pburv
I think it was something to do with the ignition position when the my plugged the computer in to reset the oil service...

The power button on the centre console wasn't working either and would only mute the music.. Even holding it wouldn't do anything. If I muted it and put the screen down, get out and lock the car. The little red light was still lit by the radio wording on the centre console!

All good now though. Must be a self teaching system!

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have similar problem. Get out lock car and screen and radio stays on. I can manually close the screen and manually turn off the radio using buttons. Also when I try selection car options on controller it's asking me to turn ignition on even if it's turned on. Unfortunately mine has not fixed itself even after mmi reset and battery disconnect. Anyone shed any light please

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have similar problem. Get out lock car and screen and radio stays on. I can manually close the screen and manually turn off the radio using buttons. Also when I try selection car options on controller it's asking me to turn ignition on even if it's turned on. Unfortunately mine has not fixed itself even after mmi reset and battery disconnect. Anyone shed any light please

Have you fixed that problem because i have the same problem here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112

I’m having the exact same issue? Did you find the solution at all? Please let me know if so

This has started happening to mine as well!
Reverse camera won’t display either as well as the MMI not turning off when ignition is turned off. And when on (and driving) will turn itself off randomly.
Anyone with a fix yet?

Could it be a low voltage battery issue? Car doesn’t do many miles per day.
Is there a way to check battery voltage & alternator charging voltage within VCDS?

Okay so for anyone with this issue, I bit the bullet and took it to Audi.
I paid for diagnostics and this is what they said:

Investigated when switching vehicle off, the MMI system stays running. Sat nav freezes and cursor will not move. Customer has tried restarting. confirmed, found "component protection" message on dashboard. Requires 2 hours further diagnosis to check fibre optics and control units.

Then their investigation led to this:

carried out further diagnosis into no communication with SF and radio control unit. Carried out manual component protection successfully on both control uni.ts, coded both to vehicle manually. MMI & radio now operating as intended, sound operating and sat nav working. Now all ok and no warning messages.

After they manually over-ridden the protection, it worked perfectly!! However, 3 months later it has failed again in the exact same way. It seems that their fix wasn’t permanent and something is definitely wrong to cause the components to go into automatic protection. I’m going to try and take it back into Audi again but their booking times are ridiculous and they are 1-2 months behind in all dealerships nearby.

any ideas anybody if this can be done manually at any other local garage given the fix Audi provided above?