Quick s-tronic question for those that have it.

I was a late converter - my last 8P S3 was a manual even though I had the choice from stock cars. Now I've had S-Tronic I wouldn't look back. Love it! Never missed manual, especially given the clutches seemingly made of butter in the S3!

Reactions: FBF01
One thing for sure - I would not like to own a DSG/S-tronic outside the warranty period.
Too many mechatronic and valves issues/problems.

That's definitely something to consider, my son had no issues at all with his DSG Golf R32, but...my TT had a new mechatronics unit and 2 replacement gearboxes, luckily all under warranty.
Although I love the S-tronic box and will always spec it I wouldn't want to own one that's well out of warranty.

Reactions: veeeight
Rick's DSG remap will sort that out.
On the remap, it doesn't change up so quickly in D
and in S, it doesn't hang onto lower gears for so long, on light throttle

Plus a whole host of other things, including "proper" manual mode in manual (it won't change up, and will actually hit the rev limiter), increased clutch clamping pressure for Stage 1,2 power, increased RPM for launch control, torque limit increase etc. etc.

Has anyone had this remap done by Unicorn Motor Developments on the 7 speed dry clutch gearbox? If so I'd be interested in your observations as a result. I'm keen to get it done but just want to assure myself that there are no downsides.

I was a little unsure about S-Tronic when I first got my S3 (it's my first S-Tronic / Auto gearbox), but I've grown to absolutely love it and I drive to its strengths. I like 'D' for nice relaxed, economic driving, 'S' for pure insane performance and 'M' for fun in between.

The OP mentioned traffic, which is why I would definitely recommend S-Tronic in addition to adaptive cruise control. My commute to work is a mix of open road and traffic, and in traffic it's a delight just to set the ACC and kick back and relax and let the car stop-and-go on its own. Takes the hassle out of everything!

Reactions: G-S3 and Simon L
This is my first DSG, all my other VAGs have been manuals previously.

I really like it. You do have to learn its strengths, and that took me a few weeks to get the hang of it. It can get confused at points around town, but only if you take it 'by surprise'.

I would happily have another one, but I will also consider a manual...depends how a feel at the time.

May have been a bit harsh in my earlier post it really is good. Had it in Dynamic last few days and it's quicker to change down when needed and still silky smooth. Don't realise how good it is until driving the family wagon soft roader at the weekends.