Question for those running spacers.....

ESD1711

Reaction score
Just wondering if theres anyone out there running a 10mm spacer on the back of their B7??

Its been suggested a 10mm spacer might not be thick enough to clear the rear hub lip - so just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny this please??

Ta muchly,
Erik

Don't worry about this folks - have done a bit more digging and it looks like 10's wont fit over the lip.

In reality, all this means is that they will need to be 'made' to fit.

RIP Hub Lip.

I use TPI hub centric 15mm F/R spacers in the summer and 15mm F /20mm R in the winter. Being wider they have a central lip?

Looking carefully at a 10mm spacer you can see that it's physically impossible to make a 10mm spacer fit over our hubs, there simply is not enough material to make it work.
I basically shaved some of the lip off mine to get them to fit, many thought I was a cowboy and foolish but when you look closely at the hub the outer lip you'll be removing does nothing as there's a thin lip further in that actually centres the wheel. I made a plastic cap to fit inside the hub to replace the metal one too.

Reactions: ESD1711
How big are the wheels? I got 18" 9.5 on the back without a spacer and 18" 9.5 on the front with a 10mm spacer and fitted all on fine no rubbing and that was back in January.

The size and shape of the rear hub is a PITA when it comes to spacers. I had some generic VAG Hubcentric 15mm ones and they wouldn't sit flush on the hub and I had to return them for a refund. Shaving that top edge wouldn't have helped either as the actual curved part was where it was catching.

How big are the wheels? I got 18" 9.5 on the back without a spacer and 18" 9.5 on the front with a 10mm spacer and fitted all on fine no rubbing and that was back in January.

They are 19 x 9.5's mate, but that's not the problem.

Currently running et 35, and looking to bring that down to 25 for a better fit when its aired out.

AJ are you saying you shave the spacer as opposed to the lip of the hub??

They are 19 x 9.5's mate, but that's not the problem.

Currently running et 35, and looking to bring that down to 25 for a better fit when its aired out.

AJ are you saying you shave the spacer as opposed to the lip of the hub??

Yeah sorry mate, knock the cap out and shave the lip of the hub back a bit with a file or a grinder. You can safely remove the material between the cap and the raised bit(arrowed) in the pic above without causing any issues.

Reactions: ESD1711
Ah right yeah that makes sense, sorry I thought when I read your post the first time you'd meant you shaved some off the actual spacer, couldn't get my head round how that would help haha :)

Ah right yeah that makes sense, sorry I thought when I read your post the first time you'd meant you shaved some off the actual spacer, couldn't get my head round how that would help haha :)

Not sure what spacers you use but my friend had 10mm forge spacers on his a4 cab with 0 problems. I've got 15mm spacers with also no problems like this

15's wouldn't cause you problems.

10's wouldn't cause you problems on the front I believe.

Think you can get 12's to work on the back without modification - but as per AJ's pic above, a 10mm spacer wont fit over the rear hub due to the lip of the hub being bigger than the spacer itself.