Question about 2010 C6 reverse light location

rev

Reaction score
Hi,

I picked up a new to me 2010 A6 Avant 2.0 TDIe S Line on Friday and just trying to sort some issues with it.

It didn't come with much history so trying to get my head around it currently and will be giving it a full service next week

Silly question but on the C6 Facelift Avant where actually are the reverse lights please?

I've got new bulb holders on order as the reverse lights show as out on the dash as does the rear left indicator although the indicators do work.

I stripped the outers down and the bulb holders were showing some corrosion (the left looked burned at the indicator bulb holder) so ordered the two parts from Audi which should come tomorrow.

I'd tried contact cleaner and a wire brush to clean up what I could but still no joy.

It just dawned on me I'm focussing on the outer units but from reading posts some say only one side works in reverse but not what bit it's in.

Is reverse in the outers or inners in UK C6 facelift cars? I've seen forum posts saying some cars have reverse on one side, others just on one so any help in the right direction appreciated thank you.

Has anyone got a picture of what should be on when it's in reverse please just so I can ensure I'm focussing on the right unit?

The car didn't have any bulbs in the P21W holders on either side so I assumed they were reverse, but realised I may have assumed wrong I've even got the multimeter out to test later but if it's a different bulb I'll go pick some up from Halfords before stripping it all down

I did manage to get hold of a handbook in MyAudi and that says W16W bulbs for reverse - I haven't checked the inners yet.

Also someone has been tinkering with VCDS and the MMI was set for RoW - is that for some known coding hack?

The MMI was already up to date with K0260 but was using a nav disk from 2010.

I've got the maps up to date now but the MU software is 0144 which may still be out of date - has anyone else done the updates on the MMI 3G in this era and can say what MU software you have?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ah I got hold of a UK handbook online (the car didn't come with one) and it says it's in the inners on the boot lid - trip to Halfords coming up shortly!

Well I have the right rear working now - both reverse lights are the W16W bulbs on the inner tails just for reference in future.

Unfortunately someone had fitted W5W to both so I now have 1 reverse light on the drivers side rear.

You'd think it would be easy from there but two wires were also hanging out of the connector so now I need to get ETKA / ELSA or similar (I've been away from VAG for a long time) working to figure out what the wiring order should be on the passenger side and see if I can depin them and solder them in to fix (or buy new pins etc). The inner holders at least looked clean unlike the passenger outer which was burned and corroded.

No idea who bodged this over the years but I have a path forwards anyway.

All fixed (for now).

The new bulb holders for the outers came today from Audi, both fitted and that has got rid of the indicator warnings (even though the bulbs were working).

For the reverse light I had to buy some special VW / Audi depinning tools to get the connectors out the harness (KAISAL 23 PCS Terminal Removal Set). Tool 12 was the one to remove the rear light connectors for me from the 5 pin terminal. I opened the removed terminals back up and recrimped them and a bit of solder for good luck and now I have two reverse lights and two rear fog lights working with no alarms (yet). Hopefully that will last the lifetime of the car now.

Just got to sort the front fog out now and then in theory a clean dashboard for the first time since I've had the car (will need to do a wipe clean with VCDS to get rid of the light errors from various modules).

Miracles do happen.

Reactions: Simon6565