Quattro tyre wear

L_G

Reaction score
Had a quick 'feel' of the tread depths against the wear indicator bars at the weekend.

On my last car (B8 3.0 TDI) the wear seemed pretty even across all four tyres so they all became in need of a replacement around the same time, however the difference between the front and back seems more noticeable this time.

Is this normal in people's experiences and would it be inadvisable to change only the front pair rather than all four?

Car has just passed 22k on the clock.

On the b9 Audi used the new ultra Quattro which works similar to the haldex system so it’s only part time awd and mainly fwd when it doesn’t need the extra traction. Based on that I would expect fronts to be worn more.

Thanks for that, that would explain things but from a quick search it suggests that the ultra system wasn't used on 'S' models.

Reactions: AlS3BE
New audi ultra quattro system on B9 is used only on allroad models.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15349729/quattro-ultra-audis-new-more-efficient-awd-system/As for uneven wear: I've had similar experience on my winter Pirelli's on my B9 272 quattro. Had to replace them this summer, as rears on average were down to less than 4mm while front's were above 5mm.
On my previous B7 3.0 TDi quattro tires wore evenly.
Seems that on B9 front of the car is much heavier than back (as evident by recommended tire pressures), on B7 all 4 corners had the same pressure recommendations. I don't know for sure if that's true, that nose is heavier on B9, but that's what I deduce from tire pressures.
A4 b9 riepu spiedieni
Riepu spiedienu uzliime

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Reactions: AlS3BE
New audi ultra quattro system on B9 is used only on allroad models.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15349729/quattro-ultra-audis-new-more-efficient-awd-system/As for uneven wear: I've had similar experience on my winter Pirelli's on my B9 272 quattro. Had to replace them this summer, as rears on average were down to less than 4mm while front's were above 5mm.
On my previous B7 3.0 TDi quattro tires wore evenly.
Seems that on B9 front of the car is much heavier than back (as evident by recommended tire pressures), on B7 all 4 corners had the same pressure recommendations. I don't know for sure if that's true, that nose is heavier on B9, but that's what I deduce from tire pressures.View attachment 241844View attachment 241845

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Will have a look at the labels when head off in a bit.

My recollection was petrol engines were generally lighter than their diesel equivalents so was expecting the front to be lighter if anything.