Problem with MFSW after changing Ignition switch

A3 Jags

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to introduce myself + the car after cleaning it up etc but have had some issues with it :-(

The standard head unit kept powering on/off 20 times a minute...so replaced the ignition switch (opposite end of the ignition barrel to where we enter our key..) that's now resolved...

Now I have found the MFSW controls, volume, voice?, mode and the paddle shifts have all stopped working. The associated back lighting has gone too. This happened the day the mechanic changed the ignition switch but I remember it worked the whole day afterwards... We opened up the airbag section (releasing the two screws behind the steering wheel) and everything seemed in order. We removed/reattached the small black connector (I've tried to show in the pictures below)...and lo and behold it worked! But by the evening it all stopped working/back lighting was off too.

The connector only 'mates' in one orientation so it wasn't that....fuses are good otherwise it wouldn't work at all...so not sure what else it could be... tried searching the boards but could not find any previous solutions.

The horn still works (as do all the stalks,wipers, computers) so the airbag loom should be ok but the small black connector and associated wire seem to disappear to the right..I don't even know if its anything to do with the MFSW controls!

Any advice or tips before I start changing the Loom, clock spring?, steering control unit..all ££££'s. It's the intermittent nature of the issue that's got me stumped!
Its a '10 black edition.
cheers!
Jags

Bump...for the weekend folk.....
Any ideas/anything I should try?
cheers!