Problem with Engine-Hunting (over-revving)

Sam Blenkharn

Reaction score
Hi all.

My Audi A3 1.6 petrol engine has been hunting (over-revving when idling) for a few years now. Last year it was an issue in the MOT as the mechanics found it hard to get it to idle at low enough revs to pass the emissions test.

The garage have looked into it and have suggested it could be an oxygen sensor fault. This is speculative though, so for now I haven't asked them to fit a new one (£180ish for the part before labour).

Has anyone had a similar problem with a hunting engine that they've managed to fix? Thanks.

WTF £180 is mad more like £ 50 tops and not to hard to fit yourself have you checked for vacuum/air leaks?

Reactions: Sam Blenkharn and Asim1
Hi all.

My Audi A3 1.6 petrol engine has been hunting (over-revving when idling) for a few years now. Last year it was an issue in the MOT as the mechanics found it hard to get it to idle at low enough revs to pass the emissions test.

The garage have looked into it and have suggested it could be an oxygen sensor fault. This is speculative though, so for now I haven't asked them to fit a new one (£180ish for the part before labour).

Has anyone had a similar problem with a hunting engine that they've managed to fix? Thanks.
Try and get it scanned for fault codes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sam Blenkharn
WTF £180 is mad more like £ 50 tops and not to hard to fit yourself have you checked for vacuum/air leaks?

Sadly I'm no mechanic. Yes I'm pretty sure they've checked for air leaks before now, thanks.

Reactions: MPH
Sadly I'm no mechanic. Yes I'm pretty sure they've checked for air leaks before now, thanks.
Seriously Sam find yourself a new garage with those ridiculous over inflated prices any decent place would get your car scanned and look for fault codes that's the direction you need to go in.

Seriously Sam find yourself a new garage with those ridiculous over inflated prices any decent place would get your car scanned and look for fault codes that's the direction you need to go in.

Alternatively look on the vcds user map on the forum and try and find somebody in your area who will scan your car

Thinks like these sensors are simple. Youtube my friend taught me everything I need to know. Plus the help of friendly people on here. Before buying this car the most I ever done was replace body panels. Now I'm changing brakes discs radiators hoses. Nothing like other people on here I'm not ashamed to say it. But I'm still slowly learning and increasing my knowledge on my new hobby

Reactions: MPH