Private number plate

jphc

RS6 Dreamin'
Reaction score
Right,

So i was an idiot. In the rush of obtaining my Audi and selling my pervious car i forgot one thing. My private plate.

Now, the new owner knows, and is fine with everything, as the plate is still in my name. He's even happy to send back the old plates from the car by post. Not that they are much use having LAND ROVER written on them!

What is the procedure to transfer my plate from his car to mine? What documents do i have to send off? Does he have to send anything off?

And if its done by post at what point does he know he has to get new plates made up? We could essentially be driving around with the same plates if there is a postal delay

Never done it like this, so i'm a little confused.

J

The new owner owns the plate his new reg document will tell him that.
£80 transfer fee usual stuff log books mot's insurance and tax discs.
SOme local DVLA still do it but i believe the majority goes to swansea now as it all will after the end of the year (all local DVLA offices are closing)

Just either read the dvla site or ring the dvla & ask for procedures, easiest option tbh.

Also you need to d/l and print that form as post offices don't carry it anymore.

I just put my plate on retention a few months back off my old A3 to put on my S3... Cost me somewhere in the region of £100...

DVLA are actually quite helpful on private plates believe it or not, I had a right faff with mine but they gave me all the info I needed. I would call them it should be just a straight transfer by the sounds of it, but because you do not hold the entitlement to the plate any more the new owner of the car does you are kind of reliant on him to sort it out.

I believe it's £80 retention and £25 to swap?

Just done mine - it's £120 to retain (for one year) and £80 to transfer from one vehicle to another.

You can't take it DVLA local offices as they now just post to Swansea anyway. Just get the forms sent via recorded delivery so that you know they have them.

Mine took 4 weeks to sort - sometimes they're quicker, sometimes not.

Just done mine - it's £120 to retain (for one year) and £80 to transfer from one vehicle to another.

You can't take it DVLA local offices as they now just post to Swansea anyway. Just get the forms sent via recorded delivery so that you know they have them.

Mine took 4 weeks to sort - sometimes they're quicker, sometimes not.

My, that's shot up in 3 years!:ohmy: