Pre-sense activation

Migwire

Reaction score
This morning I was driving on a 50mph section of the A1, when I glanced at the MMI just as all the traffic in front came to an abrupt halt.

The pre sense worked flawlessly and brought the car to a very abrupt halt, and scared the hell out of me but boy what a relief because the alternative would have been a certain collision.

I've had it ping quite a few times and wondered how close it has to be to actually activate, but I'm guessing as I still had my foot in the accelerator the car noticed I wasn't going to take action, so there was a ping, and immediate and violent jolt of the breaks then full activation of the brakes.

I'm a little annoyed at myself for this momentary lapse of concentration but it's highly reassuring that this system is there for such an event.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob_F
Good to hear it worked in a real situation. I've had it go off a few times but all false alarms. On Friday it did actually brake for me as it sensed a group of pedestrians walking towards me on the pavement of a right hand bend. Quite scary at first but quickly realised what had happened and despite it being unnecessary it was all good.

Glad you never thumped the motor if front, I was wondering if it actually stopped as a few times mine has pinged or braked but released the brakes as quick as it put them on. I would love to have the guts to try it but will wait until it saves me I think.

I've had mine kick in as I went round a roundabout and it wasn't happy I was too close to the car in front (it didn't know that car was going right and I was speeding up to exit) it was like having dual controls and an annoyed driving instructor next to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's technology that sometimes seens to be intrusive until it avoids an accident due to a momentary lack of concentration...

Reactions: Migwire, RaZ A4 and Daggerit
It's technology that sometimes seens to be intrusive until it avoids an accident due to a momentary lack of concentration...

I don't find it intrusive at all, in fact I'm quite reassured when it warns you of something. My only regret is it only works up to 53mph.

I don't find it intrusive at all, in fact I'm quite reassured when it warns you of something. My only regret is it only works up to 53mph.

Only 53??

I had the that pre-sense thing on my old merc, and it was already on the brake pedal at 70(ish) before I had time to see and react to the traffic ahead, though the Audi one did the same!

Only 53??

I had the that pre-sense thing on my old merc, and it was already on the brake pedal at 70(ish) before I had time to see and react to the traffic ahead, though the Audi one did the same!

If you have the optional pre sense front it works at all speeds.
You get it with driver assistance tour pack as it uses some of the sensors used by adaptive cruise control.

Reactions: TripleD
Blimey...kicking in early...sounds like you drive too close, Mate.
When it reacts to a pedestrian that's already crossed the road and on the pavement that the drivers behind can see is not an obstruction yet it still slams on the brakes, yes that is over sensitivity. Hence why many turn it down...
There has been other reports of it reacting to hedges, walls and fences by the side of the road.

Mine has gone off when I've been stationary and another car has zoomed past

When it reacts to a pedestrian that's already crossed the road and on the pavement that the drivers behind can see is not an obstruction yet it still slams on the brakes, yes that is over sensitivity. Hence why many turn it down...
There has been other reports of it reacting to hedges, walls and fences by the side of the road.

Ours has disabled itself once when we were in Devon on an single track, dirt road from a wedding on a farm, which was due to overhanging brambles and bushes - think our sensitivity is set to one above minimum and has been fine since day one, only time its triggered was as my other half hit the brakes when traffic suddenly stopped in front of us on a wet dual carriage way.