post Audi major service not happy

Alva78

team Nano, Black Styling package H&R 8mm spacers
Reaction score
I have just had a franchised Audi dealership do the "major service" £309 plus mot £49.99.Had a call halfway through the day to say that both rear coil springs are "broken" the famous "Audi cam" was sent via e-mail to me and low and behold i could not see a crack anywhere.Now beforei carry on with this horrible experience with this dealership,can any of you out there tell me bearing in mind i'm a 54 year old having had 8 vw golfs and2 a3's in my life and never had a coil spring problem ever.Has any one had a problem with these coil springs.I have a 2009 138tdi.thanks for any input

I changed my car to coilovers and did not realise till then that both my rear springs had snapped at the base losing 3/4 of a coil

Yup rears snap all the time across the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda range (of the same shared platform, mk5/8P/1P etc)

It's not something to start writing letters or throwing toys out if the pram about. It happens, bite the bullet and replace.

Usually it's the bottom ring, about 2inchs long that snaps, and it terms of ride height it's minimal. So 9/10 you wouldn't even know it. Just sits in the cup at the bottom.

Afterall they are fairly load bearing and take alot of stick...so should actually be expected at some point in a cars life.

Things aren't built to last in 'this day and age'.

Last edited by a moderator:
My rear broke I never knew till my mechanic showed me took it off in two bits and replaced the lot he said happens all the time as they sit in a cup that fills with water then the spring rust then crack

Yeah make sure they show you the cracked springs in person.

By any chance do the 8p s3 57plates have this problem to?

thanks for the feed back,i am just suprised as all the vag cars i have had its never happened to.i was covered under the mot insrance that audi offer but what annoyed me was that they did not say that sir dont worry its covered under warranty and was going to charge me.Thats my main gripe about the dealership.

Sorry I agree it's a known issue. Mayor dealerships are unlikely to rip you off on things like that due to reputational risk. It's not the same as Halfrauds on Kwik Fiddle!

Glad they covered under warranty.

thanks for the feed back,i am just suprised as all the vag cars i have had its never happened to.i was covered under the mot insrance that audi offer but what annoyed me was that they did not say that sir dont worry its covered under warranty and was going to charge me.Thats my main gripe about the dealership.

It was bound to happen at least once or maybe it had and nobody saw it they were going to charge you for a part covered ? if so then thats a bit naughty,maybe their holiday fund needs filling up.