Possible gearbox issues?

S

Scott_Crossley

Hi guys,

I was parked up today waiting to pick the misses up from the airport, I was sat with the engine running for about 10 mins then suddenly the car started making a loud winding/grinding noise, this stopped when I revved it with the car in neutral, when I put it in gear and drove it it drove fine through every gear Including upto 70mph in 6th gear on the motorway but the noise still persisted and the clutch stuck down twice throughout the journey. I could feel what felt the engine was moving during acceleration? I have no idea what this could be. The clutch seams to be fine as it isn't slipping and it goes in gear fine except it sticking twice? The car accelerates fine as it usually does and I can get all gears fine. The noise does not affect the car driving atall? This is very strange, has anyone had any issues similar to this? Many thanks in advance

If you can feel the engine move, then maybe it's a broken engine mount. The grinding could be all the spinning parts catching on part of the chassis.

I had this issue with a Civic Type R on a trackday at Cadwell Park! The mountain killed the top engine mount causing grinding and major rocking of the engine...

when you say the clutch stuck do you mean the pedal would not return?

To be honest the misses stalled the car in second gear a few weeks ago (I might aswell blame her) but it stalled in quite a violent way and since then every now and then there was a clunk sometimes so I suspected the engine mount was on its way out but this today was totally random, I can physically move the engine but not too much play but I don't actually know how much play there should be. I'm seriously hoping it isn't a gearbox/clutch/flywheel issue as the dual mass is £300 on its own and £200 for the clutch kit for parts only!

Hi Granta,

Yes it only returned to half way but it came up very easily when I put my foot underneath it and pulled it up?

You shouldn't be able to move the engine by hand hardly at all, a few mm but it should be hard to do! If you can move it easy upto a point when it just stops then something is broken. Obviously the torque of the engine moving a ton and a half of car will make it move significantly. Best thing to do it get some on yo hold the car on the foot brake and take up the bit point on the clutch on and off repeatedly whilst you look at the engine. You will be able to see if it's moving excessively and hitting things. It really should not move much.

Cheers mate, I will try this tomorrow, it is going in the garage at 8.30 anyway. Just got to wait for the dreaded phone call to tell me what's fu**ed :(

i this your slave cylinder is damaged, could be leaking thats why it sticks down. have a look at where the gearbox meets the engine and make sure its not leaking :(

would the slave cylinder explain the constant grinding/knocking noise?

Engine Mount Test:

You see from this video that the engine does move, but you would not be able to move it this much by hand unless a mount is broken. Also you will notice that it moves square. If yours twists to the side then it's got a broken mount.

The problem with the clutch could be as the engine is moving around excessively it will be tugging at all the gearbox cables and clutch pipework. ;-)

Thanks for the video mate, I will have to check this before it goes to the garage in the morning, I really hope it is an engine mount as Christmas is not the best time to be paying £800+ for a new flywheel and clutch never mind a gearbox refurb!

Reactions: S3DUST
Good luck, I hope it's the mount for you as it will be alot cheaper ;-)

Yes mate I will do, hopefully it's not too much cost to swallow :keule:

it could be the grinding noise, when you push the clutch down can you feel "running" through the pedal?

i feel for you mate, december is a tough month and no one needs an extra repair cost like that :(

Yeah mate, I can really feel the engine through the clutch. Not the brakes or steering just the clutch. I should have bought a Toyota Prius

Hope its not like mine was, a gearbox replacement.

Mine would be noisey when hot, around 95 degrees and more. then it would quieten when the clutch was depressd, and quieten more when first gear was selected.

under warranty, a box plus installation was 4k.....

L

Hi guys,
Just an update, the car has been to audi this morning and they have had the pleasure of releaving me of £900 for a dual mass fly wheel and £700 for a clutch kit as it makes sence to have the clutch done at the same time :(

Oh dear sorry to hear that :-( just so your aware you can get the duel mass for under 300 and a uprated clutch for 700 ish!

What is the car?

It gets a bit better! I've took it back off audi and a mate of mine is doing it as we speak, £600 all in with parts and labour. I'm a bit happier with that although again it's not the best time of the year!

Reactions: Jake 61 and S3DUST
Glad you getting it sorted for cheaper. What was the offending part?

In the end it was the dual mass fly wheel, it's had a new one, a full clutch kit and a slave cylinder. It drives like its factory fresh now!