please help!!! glow plug indicator flashing, car wont start 1.9tdi

D17 JLN

Reaction score
*another problem to add to the list!!

Just jumped in my car when to pop somewhere and the car wouldnt start, then noticed the little coil indicator flashing amber!, i looked in the manual and realised it was the glow plug warning light, its just constantly flashingand wontgo off, it also says ´safe` near the mileage reader,
i was out in the car lastnightand didnt have oneproblemwith it... any help? Cheers

when i turn the key 1 click, all lights come onand go off as they are supposed too, exect the glow plug, enginemanagement, battery and handbrake, but when i tried to start the car the engine management light turned off but the car fires up then cuts out straight away then i got a warning saying check oil pressure, my oil levels seem to be fine???

Does this just mean i need new glow plugs or isit something more serious?

Been searching for answers and have come across one sayingpossible imobilliser fault??, i had changed my key (putting chip board in new casing from old casing) just before i tried turning the car over so could this be the fault???

"Safe" in the display is indicative of an immobilizer problem, as is the cutting of the engine immediately after starting. Are you sure you've swapped all of the keys innards over? I believe there is a small microchip that people often miss. Easiest way to check is if you've got a spare key give it a go...

Last edited:
Ps. don't worry about the low oil pressure warning, it's just due to the immobilizer cutting the ignition.

Could you discribe this micro chip as ive probably missed it, i only changed the big chio board over :/

I found the micro chip and that is the cause to the problem, the problem i have now is removong the chip from the old key??

I've not looked inside a key for a few years now but they used to be a little glass chip, usually glued inside the case

Cheers mate all sorted and fittef into my new key problem solved, cheers for your helo much appreciated

Reactions: SJ