PLA Hole Sizes in the 8P

Fraysa

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Coming from a 8V, trying to help a friend with a 2011 8P to retrofit PLA. We already got all the parts, but I'm not sure what are the right sizes for the holes in the bumpers.

I'd like to know the right sizes for all sizes. On the 8V and the Golf MK7 it's 18.2mm for the regular sensors and 26.7mm for the PLA sensor.

Thanks!

Hey,
I did 18mm for all PDC and 30mm for the PLA.
Tons of info here
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...distance-control-pla-park-lane-assist.417456/

Hey George,

Thanks a lot for the reply. 100% of the posts on the 8V and on the Golf MK7 mention 18mm as well, but some forum member found out that it's actually 18.2mm, because with 18mm they don't sit 100% flush. I think the extra 0.2mm is for the paint thickness.

Also, I'm not sure how it is on the 8P but on the 8V the PLA sensors are 26.7mm (or 27mm). How come they are 30mm on the 8P?

Those are the PLA brackets that you have to buy.
Left - 1T0919487 GRU
Right - 1T0919488 GRU
For ease of mind, you can buy the brackets first and measure with a calliper the size of it.

For sure you must first have the brackets (and painted) and then drill the holes.

You can also check the attached picture that I copied from the PDC+PLA retrofit topic.

Attachments

• 79ea0182b72272b77612814ecf6e04e5.jpg
    79ea0182b72272b77612814ecf6e04e5.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 132
Left - 1T0919487 GRU
Right - 1T0919488 GRU
For ease of mind, you can buy the brackets first and measure with a calliper the size of it.

For sure you must first have the brackets (and painted) and then drill the holes.

You can also check the attached picture that I copied from the PDC+PLA retrofit topic.

Thanks. I checked with my friend, and he's actually planning to retrofit PDC without PLA.

How can I make sure the required hole for 8P is 18mm exactly?

This is the result with 18mm step drill.
When you drill the holes, you can test fit the brackets and sensors to check it they are flush.
For me they where not flush and I sanded the bumper from the inside a bit.

How come your friend is not going for PLA as well? not much extra work tbh. And a nice feature to have. Gives to the car more value as well.

Attachments

• image_2021-02-18_11-38-56.jpg
    image_2021-02-18_11-38-56.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 111
  • image_2021-02-18_11-38-55.jpg
    image_2021-02-18_11-38-55.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 103
This is the result with 18mm step drill.
When you drill the holes, you can test fit the brackets and sensors to check it they are flush.
For me they where not flush and I sanded the bumper from the inside a bit.

How come your friend is not going for PLA as well? not much extra work tbh. And a nice feature to have. Gives to the car more value as well.

Interesting. If so, I assume the 18.2mm is the same for the 8P if you had to sand it. I wish there was some way to verify it.

I see you used a step drill bit, I actually used a bumper punch kit for this which makes the work much easier and cleaner.

I installed PLA on my MK7 and it's an awesome feature and not extra work. The problem is that he already bought parts for PDC like 2 years ago, and he's using my help to install them now.

If so, I assume the 18.2mm is the same for the 8P if you had to sand it. I wish there was some way to verify it.

I didn't sand the hole to make it bigger.
I sanded the rear/inside part of the bumper so the sensor would stick out more and look flush. I hope this makes sense.
But even with your punch kit, 0,2mm is not much difference. You can always try the hole size in a peace of plastic to check first.

The punch tool makes much cleaner holes I believe. I didn't have one, and the step drill was much cheaper.

I didn't sand the hole to make it bigger.
I sanded the rear/inside part of the bumper so the sensor would stick out more and look flush. I hope this makes sense.
But even with your punch kit, 0,2mm is not much difference. You can always try the hole size in a peace of plastic to check first.

The punch tool makes much cleaner holes I believe. I didn't have one, and the step drill was much cheaper.

Ah, I understand now. I think I faced the same issue with my installation on the MK7. Because the brackets were too thick (OEM brackets are nowhere to be found for sale), the sensors did not sit 100% flush.

I found this hole kit: https://www.killertools.com/Bumper-Perfect_p_27.html which I'm gonna purchase for him to use. We're gonna try on a piece of plastic to test-fit before trying it on the bumper and I'll update here if it was 18 or 18.2.

What brackets did you use, and what did you use to attach the brackets to the bumper? On the MK7, I tried to use the brackets that came with the kit (aftermarket brackets with double-sided tape) but it fell off, so I ended up having to scrape off the double-sided tape so I can apply JBWeld PlasticWeld.

These are the brackets I used.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012690257.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4de34c4dAVvRxE

At first I used the double sided tape as well, and 2 sensors fell off as well lol.
Then I used a similar two part epoxy glue for plastics. No problem since then.

The punch kit you posted is really expensive! $188.00?! wow!
Do a search on google. You could find something cheaper. Like this. Or even this.

188$ for a kit is not so bad, as I'm planning to use it for several other vehicles. VAS 6614/1 looks good, but I'm not sure if I can use it out-of-the-box, or I need another part for it, as it seems to be a part of a kit (/1).

Reactions: George Kost
Just throwing an update here. The friend ended up buying the VAS 6614/1 and we tried with a piece of bumper from a salvaged car - the result was super clean compared to the aftermarket/AliExpress tools. Looks like the extra 0.2mm is needed for the outer rubber ring.

Reactions: George Kost
Left - 1T0919487 GRU
Right - 1T0919488 GRU

Sorry i know its an old thread but i some pla brackets here and the width and height are different so how would i install these brackets into my bumper for the PLA. Are yours 30mm all the way around?

The bracket is rectangular.
But the part of the bracket that goes in the hole, is 30mm. Circle.
You place it at that way, where the sensor is vertical to the car! Because the bumper is curved and in angle compared with the length of the car. Not straight.
I am not sure if you get it!

Post a picture of your brackets...