Pirelli Tyres - Starting to break up after only 3K miles WTF!!!

royalsteve68

Reaction score
Went to audi main dealer today for servicing work. They noticed the front tyres are preishing on the outer edge (and a common fault with Pirelli's!). Absolutely fuming . They are pretty new and hardly used. Installed on 25/11/2020 and i have done less than 3K miles on them. Fuming!

Anyone get anywhere with Pirelli. I will contact them and i expect them to replace them FOC.

It’s worth speaking with Pirelli. They are great to deal with. I had a set replaced a while ago but mine was under a year old, on a new car factory fitted, and they were cracking in the tread blocks.
I would say on a 2 year old set of tyres it’s a bit more difficult to prove mileage and use and how they have been stored etc but definitely worth a call/email. I found the customer service with Pirelli better than with Audi.

It’s worth speaking with Pirelli. They are great to deal with. I had a set replaced a while ago but mine was under a year old, on a new car factory fitted, and they were cracking in the tread blocks.
I would say on a 2 year old set of tyres it’s a bit more difficult to prove mileage and use and how they have been stored etc but definitely worth a call/email. I found the customer service with Pirelli better than with Audi.
i can easily prove the mileage via MOTs - 15810 on 05/10/20 and now 18800 ish -tyres were replaced on 23/11/20

Mine were the same. Nearly 6mm on the fronts as well. The car also used to break traction all the time, particularly when coming out of roundabouts in wet cold conditions. It would also illuminate traction lights when accelerating hard in the first few gears. I was informed that this was a very common problem with the RS3 and Pirelli's. Having replaced them all round with PS4S's, all problems have been resolved and the handling has been transformed. It's like I've got a totally different car and I couldn't be more pleased

Mine needs x4 new tyres & i was ringing around earlier today & for mine the Pirelli were a fair bit cheaper BUT ill be sticking with the MPS4S that are currently fitted.

Mine needs x4 new tyres & i was ringing around earlier today & for mine the Pirelli were a fair bit cheaper BUT ill be sticking with the MPS4S that are currently fitted.

Don’t blame you mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S.
spoke to the tye place i had the tyres installed. Theyll install new ones, which ill have to pay for, then send my old ones to pirelli. this is the process for any pirelli affiliated tyre dealer. Pirelli will look at them and hopefully refund me most if not all of the cost.

lol i got it slightly wrong, the tyre place fitted the rears in 2020. It was the audi dealer that fitted the fronts in June 2019, as they were the only place i could get tyres at the time due to massive tyre shortages. So theyve had 2.5 years and about 5k miles use. I still expect tyres to last ALOT longer.

I would contact Pirelli directly.
as I said they were great to deal with and they came out to my work to check the tyres then decided to replace them. That way it didn’t cost me a bean. Sounds like your tyre place wants another sale. Pirelli has a centre that can fit tyres and do tracking and other stuff.

Update: So i had 2 new tyres fitted some time ago and the Protyre place kindly sent the duff ones back to pirelli. I had direct contact with Pirelli. Pirelli confirmed yesterday that theyd refund 50% with admission of liability. Happy with that.

Got to say that I have been massively impressed with the way Pirelli have dealt with this issue.

Reactions: Pinky1959 and AlS3BE
only issue is they sent the refund to the protyre wholesaler. so now trying to get the money. there has to be a simpler process

only issue is they sent the refund to the protyre wholesaler. so now trying to get the money. there has to be a simpler process
That’s unfortunate. I was lucky with Pirelli. They just sent new tyres to the nearest Pirelli centre and they just fitted it and sent the old ones back so Pirelli could test them.

Got my refund via Protyre. Goota say that Bracknell Protyre have been brilliant. Sure, they ended up with some free business but it wasnt really for them to help sort it out. But they did. Shout out to Ralph (hope i spelt his name correctly!)

That’s unfortunate. I was lucky with Pirelli. They just sent new tyres to the nearest Pirelli centre and they just fitted it and sent the old ones back so Pirelli could test them.
Thats odd, Pirelli wanted me to see them and test them first before issuing any refund. Not sure how they expected me to do that!

It's a problem that's been on the go for a while to be honest and not the first time either.
If you have proof of milage since fitting then you shouldn't have any probs with Pirelli.

I just posted a few hours ago asking for tyre recomendations as I have Pirelli P Zero tires that have 20,000 km on them and are also cracking between the threads. Mine are 5 years old and have been stored indoors over the winters. Perhaps normal for a 5 seasons on them, but seems odd to me for such low mileage however. But I don't know enough about tyres.

I just posted a few hours ago asking for tyre recomendations as I have Pirelli P Zero tires that have 20,000 km on them and are also cracking between the threads. Mine are 5 years old and have been stored indoors over the winters. Perhaps normal for a 5 seasons on them, but seems odd to me for such low mileage however. But I don't know enough about tyres.
For a 5 year old tyre I would say they are due for replacement regardless of cracking. Rubber drys and cracks as they age.
mine started to shows signs of cracking within a year so that wasn’t quite right.

5 years old and 20km miles seems normal for a performance tyre. Performance tyres dont last as long as normal tyres you find on normal cars. If i get 10k miles from a full set id be fine with that. On my peugeot id expect to get over 15K miles / 5 years out of them