Petrol Avant Issues?

Graemetee

Reaction score
After reading up on the B7 A4's on the 'net, it seems that the diesel models suffer with quite a few issues, mainly DMF's, DPF's and oil pump problems but there seems to be very little that I can find about the petrol models.

Are there any major issues on the petrol A4's?

Is there anything in particular to look out for on them?

After reading up on the B7 A4's on the 'net, it seems that the diesel models suffer with quite a few issues, mainly DMF's, DPF's and oil pump problems but there seems to be very little that I can find about the petrol models.

Are there any major issues on the petrol A4's?

Is there anything in particular to look out for on them?

Ive had my 2.0t fsi quattro special edition for 3 years now and its had a few issues, but nothing major. I had the cambelt done when i first bought it for piece of mind.

Then had a small boost issue which was the diverter valve (£60 tops)

1 coil pack failed so i changed all 4 (£120 although i believe there is a recall for this)

Noisy timing chain and tensioner. These are quite rattly engines anyway but this was excessive. Even though audi don't recommend ever replacing this, they have been known to snap.
I replaced this at £300 inc parts, but others have known this to cost £400 +

Other than basic service parts etc jve had no issues.

The clutch had 100k on it when i changed it and still had life left.

Hope this helps

just sold my old b5 2.5 v6 tdi quattro avant.

considering replacing with a b7 1.8T avant. tfsi would be nice but the wife doesnt do the miles

considering replacing with a b7 1.8T avant. tfsi would be nice but the wife doesnt do the miles

I had a leon cupra r 225 1.8t. Was a quick car and very reliable. Inly thing i know about them is they need to be on short life services, every 10k as it they are prone for pickup pipe blockage. Not sure what the 1.8t is like in A4 as they are 180bhp i believe. I found mine a little underpowered with the quattro (220bhp). But thats me. Others may be different...

the main reason for the 1.8t is extra power. 300 hp easily in reach.

yes long life services isnt much god for any engine IMHO.

as for tfsi, i had a brand new 07 gti dsg.it was crap on fuel, and the motors sludge up due to the fsi bit. i can maintain a 1.8t alot easier i feel.

the main reason for the 1.8t is extra power. 300 hp easily in reach.

yes long life services isnt much god for any engine IMHO.

as for tfsi, i had a brand new 07 gti dsg.it was crap on fuel, and the motors sludge up due to the fsi bit. i can maintain a 1.8t alot easier i feel.

I get 30mpg round town and 45mpg on the motorway and im running stage 3 k04 hybrid with the 2.0t fsi, well over 300bhp, Even on the k03 stage 2+ 280bhp and 300 ft/lbs of torque is doable.
1.8t wont handle more than 300ft lbs without doing the rods. Thats why i changed to the 2.0t fsi, for more torque. Ive never had an issue with the sludge, but then again i dont give it chance to build up. A good spanking usually sorts that one out.

I still think the 1.8t is a good engine though, but then again i love the 2.0t. I guess its a case of what you want power wise that settles it really.

I get 30mpg round town and 45mpg on the motorway and im running stage 3 k04 hybrid with the 2.0t fsi, well over 300bhp, Even on the k03 stage 2+ 280bhp and 300 ft/lbs of torque is doable.
1.8t wont handle more than 300ft lbs without doing the rods. Thats why i changed to the 2.0t fsi, for more torque. Ive never had an issue with the sludge, but then again i dont give it chance to build up. A good spanking usually sorts that one out.

That's interesting, I was just about to post up asking about fuel consumption!
45mpg on a run sounds fairly good to me, not much less than my old 308 diesel.

That's interesting, I was just about to post up asking about fuel consumption!
45mpg on a run sounds fairly good to me, not much less than my old 308 diesel.

Thats with a k04 hybrid mate. They come with a k03 as standard. The mpg as standard was more like 26mpg round town and 40mpg motorway. Some of the lads in here have had a stage 1 map and seen an increase in performance and economy. Obviously you can decrease them figures dramatically if you get your boot down lol

Can't disagree with Craigcull on what he has said. I have done nearly 50,000 km;s in mine since I've owned in May 2012. $ v reliability v smiles per gallon its been the most reliable petrol car I have owned.....and I have owned a few! A remap and keeping on top of the engine, ( regular oil and filter changes ) will get a "'liveable tank range"' They don't like city driving though.....mine drinks the stuff when its standing still, but on A roads and Motorways it's great!

Good Luck
A

Be careful with the 1.8t's.....they have been susceptible to engine sludge issues and blocked sump pick up filters.

BR
A