Petrol A6 Avants?

Graemetee

Reaction score
Hopefully it won't be happening for a while but it looks like some time in the fairly near future I'll need to get rid of my current T5 van and replace it with something with a petrol engine in no small part due to the probable extension of the London LEZ meaning that I won't be able to drive to work any longer if/when it expands.

With the current issues regarding diesel engines and emissions and the relatively low mileage I do (Approx 5-6000 per year) I think that a petrol engine would be the best bet.
I've previously had a B7 A4 Avant with the 2.0Tfsi engine which, apart from the oil usage, was a pretty good car and not too bad on fuel.

From looking around it appears that there are very few of the petrol engined A6 Avants on the market so I was interested in how owners are finding them?

Is the 2.0 engine particularly underpowered?
I had the 220bhp motor in the A4 which was plenty fast enough for what I wanted but in a bigger car like the A6 I thought the 2.0 may be a bit small.

Is the 3.0 very heavy on fuel?
What kind of real world economy figures are people getting with these?

Is there anything in particular to be looking at or avoiding with regards common faults or issues with these engines or models in general?

That would explain the lack of petrol models then!
I'm currently just looking into the various options but having had a quick look at BMW and Mercedes' offerings the Audi is definitely streets ahead of the others, it just may have to be a diesel instead of a petrol though.

From looking around it appears that there are very few of the petrol engined A6 Avants on the market so I was interested in how owners are finding them?

Is the 2.0 engine particularly underpowered?
I had the 220bhp motor in the A4 which was plenty fast enough for what I wanted but in a bigger car like the A6 I thought the 2.0 may be a bit small.

Is the 3.0 very heavy on fuel?
What kind of real world economy figures are people getting with these?

Is there anything in particular to be looking at or avoiding with regards common faults or issues with these engines or models in general?

Audi UK stopped getting the petrol A6's as the A6 market is usually polarised between people who want a company car (chosen based on tax bands) or something more sporty and less concerned about economy (i.e. the S6/RS6).... the last justification for the 3.0TFSI disappeared with the combination of the BiTDI (which covers both bases) and Chris Harri's youtube channel showing how a remapped 3.0TFSI was the same speed as a 4.2V8.

The A7 3.0TFSI is still around.... and is still a supercharged, unlike the S4's where they've got with a turbo for more power and lower emissions (but swapped the DSG for a ZF 8-speed now)....

Fuel economy varies on type and style of driving.... it is NOT like a diesel, where you can drive it hard and still return semi-sensible figures: I tend to average 30mpg with a mix of driving - town and 80mph cruising, with the odd durst of acceleration... I'll see that in the low 20's for short trips, id-20's around town and anything up to mid to high 30's if gentle motorway cruising (average in a low cruise can be 37-38mpg if you drive like a saint).

The UK never got the 2.0TFSI due to the previous tax bias towards diesels and the 2.0TDI / 3.0TFI(204PS) being made more favourable...

If you do get the s'charged A6 Avant, then I'd highly recommend a mild remap at least*- the engine and drivetrain are identical to the SIMOS8.5 generation of S5's... except in stock tune, they're remapped to bleed boost at much lower revs (possibly for emissions reason, but more likely that if it wasn't, the performance is very similar to the S6 - fractionally lower peak power, but the s'charged nature makes it a very muscular V6 at lower revs and able to rev very freely, unlike the turbo'd V8)... so like the S5, it's an easy 375-400bhp just on a remap or change the s'charger pulley for ~450bhp.

*Fuel economy may suffer ;)

Honestly, if you keep driving the car like previously when you were trying for economy (i.e. "economy mode" or manually shift and drive it like a diesel between 1000rpm and 3500rpm) - then you'll still see similar figures, but I doubt you will when you realise that if you keep your foot down, then it just screams through to >6500rpm still pulling like a freight train :)

Reactions: DrEskimo
Think he is referring to the new B9 S4, which has switched to turbocharging.
Thanks - I'm having flash-backs of when I was telling people that the new S4 had gone from a turbo V6 (2.7 in the B5) V8 (B6) to a TFSI V6 (which was a hard-sell since down-sizing wasn't in-vogue then)..... and then that TFSI was actually VAG-speak for anything forced induction (turbo/s'charged/both)... and the S4 V6 "TFSI" was actually a supercharged engine.... now we've gone full circle and it IS actually turbo-charged.... higher peak power, but less low-end torque and less free-revving.... and I'm having to convince people that the "in-the-know" fact about the S4's V6 TFSI being s'charged is no longer true.... SIGH..... too many changes....

Thanks - I'm having flash-backs of when I was telling people that the new S4 had gone from a turbo V6 (2.7 in the B5) V8 (B6) to a TFSI V6 (which was a hard-sell since down-sizing wasn't in-vogue then)..... and then that TFSI was actually VAG-speak for anything forced induction (turbo/s'charged/both)... and the S4 V6 "TFSI" was actually a supercharged engine.... now we've gone full circle and it IS actually turbo-charged.... higher peak power, but less low-end torque and less free-revving.... and I'm having to convince people that the "in-the-know" fact about the S4's V6 TFSI being s'charged is no longer true.... SIGH..... too many changes....

Ha yea, being the OCD bloke that I am, the first thing I did on my B8.5 S5 was debadge the sides and get rid of the 'V6T'...!

As you say, it wasn't wrong per se, just confusing!

Bit disappointed they moved away from both the supercharged and S-Tronic...that coupled with quattro make for an awesome experience I think. Having said that, I haven't rest driven the new B9...

Last edited:
fact is that re-tuning and artificially detuned s'charged engine was always a dream... even the 290PS just needs a pulley and remap to see 450bhp... and that isn't a diesel-style massive step up in torque.... it just holds similar torque into higher revs :)

fact is that re-tuning and artificially detuned s'charged engine was always a dream... even the 290PS just needs a pulley and remap to see 450bhp... and that isn't a diesel-style massive step up in torque.... it just holds similar torque into higher revs :)

Oh it's immense. I've sat in a forum members stage 2 S5 and it was incredible how different it felt. Would love to get mine done, but just don't have the funds to justify it atm....

I just got a cheap, mild remap to 375bhp.... a Revo remap will cost a lot more (~£500) but get you >400bhp , some (e.g. Top Gear's Chris Harris) are claiming ~420bhp....

At very least get the basic remap.... didn't cost too much (£300) or hit my insurance too hard.... and completely transforms the car when you keep the accelerator pinned.... I was dead-set on doing the down-pipes, pulley, intakes and remap.... but after the first mild remap, I'm fine.... the car doesn't need any more power.... I'll spend the rest of the money (initial outlay and annual insurance) on a cheap roadster for extra giggles.... honestly, the family snot-wagon does NOT need to get to 60mph in <4secs.... 4.5secs is fast enough.....

Thanks for all the information here guys, especially BahnStormer. Gives me some idea of what's about and what I should be looking for.