paint repair

73pop

Reaction score
What would be the best way to sort this out?

I have no idea how it happened. i personal think my mrs has gone to open the door with her key in her hand but she having none of it and being 8 month pregnant i won't push it
IMG 2355

Ouch I feel for you! It looks like it's been done the way you said OR by a ring! I was going to say a shopping trolley, but then noticed the door handle under it, it has to be something hand related!

Someone on here the other day had a bumper repair and that was a good job...may be an idea to say where you are located.

EDIT* Found it...Take a look http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...st-idiot-pranged-me-and-did-not-knock.286478/

Reactions: pburv
Sorry to see this ;o(

Given that it's on a feature line and on the top half of the car i.e. being in the sun a lot and also the fact that you're always going to look at it every time you open the door. Personally I'd get a man in either a chips away type of service or take it to a reputable paint shop. If now is not a good time then just use a touch up pen in the meantime if you can get them in exclusive colours.

Reactions: pburv, batch and S32B
Yeah never thought about the feature line thing with my chipex suggestion actually

Would a chips away type guy do that job due to the position? Or should I say, would it still be a good job or would it maybe be more noticeable?

Ouch I feel for you! It looks like it's been done the way you said OR by a ring! I was going to say a shopping trolley, but then noticed the door handle under it, it has to be something hand related!

Someone on here the other day had a bumper repair and that was a good job...may be an idea to say where you are located.

EDIT* Found it...Take a look http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...st-idiot-pranged-me-and-did-not-knock.286478/
That would be my thread....I have used chipex for small stone-chips but think that's a bit big for that

Would suggest you use a local recommended scratch repair company.. My guy is in Essex so a bit far for you

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
Yeah never thought about the feature line thing with my chipex suggestion actually

Would a chips away type guy do that job due to the position? Or should I say, would it still be a good job or would it maybe be more noticeable?

I think it can be very colour and location (on the car) dependant. My own experiences of chips away are fairly mixed, I had an amazing bumper repair done on an Alfa in grey metallic then two not so great jobs done one on a wheel refurb where the colour match wasn't great and another on a stone chip right in the middle of the bonnet. The one on the bonnet looked ok but at an angle you could see and feel dullness where the lacquer was blown in - being a large flat panel didn't help.

I think riviera is a single stage paint so as long as it's a good paint match and the layers are built up carefully it should be ok.

As with most things like this it also depends a lot on the craftsmanship and skill of the individual doing the work. Not sure how warranties compare chips away vs paint shop so that may be a factor if looking to keep the car long term.

Reactions: pburv, azibux1 and Simon L
That would be my thread....I have used chipex for small stone-chips but think that's a bit big for that

Would suggest you use a local recommended scratch repair company.. My guy is in Essex so a bit far for you
Yeah I found the thread and added it to my post above ;) He did a good job by the way :)

Reactions: pburv, Daveotto and Rob2k68
Think I might try and build it up slowly with a touch up and tooth pick if it looks bad then get a pro job done just have to see how it goes will watch a lot of you tube and see what I can do.
She noticed it the night she picked a friend up, who funny enough wears a couple of large rings!!

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Think I might try and build it up slowly with a touch up and tooth pick if it looks bad then get a pro job done just have to see how it goes will watch a lot of you tube and see what I can do.
She noticed it the night she picked a friend up, who funny enough wears a couple of large rings!!

Rings, belts, buckles and high heels...................it's surprising we let them in the car at all really!! lol

My daughter put a nice scuff on my side skirt a few months back...............fortunately nothing a bit of polish couldn't sort out. Hope you get a good job done on yours mate, lovely colour :)

Reactions: pburv and 73pop

If you are doing it yourself, patience is a virtue and time... Give yourself a good two hours

Reactions: pburv and 73pop
Yeah @Rob2k68 I've read also like you say that the general chips away experience varies a lot based on the person doing it and their skill / level of care lol

Reactions: pburv, 73pop and Rob2k68
Cross her off the friends list! :)

My wife's sister got in the back of my black SRi Corsa about 10 years back whilst carrying a metal cat carrier!!! After I'd said "Put it in the boot", the reply from that was "It's OK"....next second as her sister was getting in I heard a bump! I said that wasn't the car was it? "No". I later went around to look and low and behold there was a scratch...grrrr I wasn't a happy chap. Since then whenever she gets into the car my wife takes anything she is carrying off her and then either puts it in the boot or passes it her once she's inside the car :);)

Reactions: pburv, 73pop and Rob2k68
If you are doing it yourself, patience is a virtue and time... Give yourself a good two hours

I will and a 100 cigs To boot.

If anybody has any tips and pointers they would be well received!!

I just don't fancy letting someone other than Audi near it with a spray gun least if they ballsed it up you could hold them to ransom putting it right.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Im a paint sprayer with 25 yrs experience unfortunately because of the colour that needs at the very least a small repair and lacquer to the whole door my advice is take it to a bodyshop it will not touch up and a chips away repair will be very noticeable hope this helps

Reactions: azibux1, 73pop and Rob2k68
In fact looking at where the damage is I would be painting the panel next to it to Match the colour 100%

Reactions: 73pop
Thanks for the advice mike. I think you might be right but i will have a go like you recommend it needs the whole door doing so if it looks to bad after I have done my best i will get it done professionally. Give me some good practice:grinning:

Reactions: Rob2k68
In fact looking at where the damage is I would be painting the panel next to it to Match the colour 100%
Where are you based?

Can anybody recommend a good northwest paint shop?