Pack of Crisp nearly made me poo myself!

WillC8

Reaction score
So I was calmly driving in to work this morning, actually making decent progress down one of the main roads in Manchester, when all of a sudden I hear a beep and a red light flash on my dash, I clocked it was the Pre Sense system and next thing you know, the car was slamming on the breaks. No surprise to say I was more that a little shocked as there was nothing in front of me for quite a distance and the cars in the lanes next to me were not encroaching in to my lane at all.

The only thing I did notice was a empty foil pack of crisp about to float past me before the car tried to make me soil myself! So I can only guess this is what set the Pre-Sense off.

Luckily the car behind me was a bit of distance away, but he must have thought I was trying to pull some car crash scam.

Has anyone else had this and what do you think would happen if someone did rear end me, would it be their fault for being too close or would it be mine/Audi for providing a terrifying "safety" feature? Do you think there is any log of the Pre-Sense activating in the car, or would it just be my word that it went off?

I'm now debating whether to turn the Pre-Sense off on my daily commute, anyway, I didn't need my daily coffee after that to wake me up.

Reactions: Soulboy, SW14NY'S and Rob2k68
Sometimes cars are too clever...or think they are!

If someone runs up the back of you it is generally deemed their fault. However, there have been cases where the driver of the car infront has taken a portion of the blame for braking unnecessarily!

Holy cow think I'd be changing my underwear too - glad your ok!

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L
Imagine if it had been a full pack of crisps.......................

celebrities-you-didnt-know-were-married.gif

Reactions: Grover, Martinbanshee, Mr.G and 5 others
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Martinbanshee, Rob2k68, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
What Flavour was it...them Pickled Onion, are well known for upsetting drivers assistance things...lol

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Rob2k68 and Simon L
I would have shed a tear for the pack of crisp Simon :disrelieved:

Yeah thanks Rob, just lucky it wasn't as busy as it normally is, otherwise the daylight between me and the driver behind would have been a lot less :anguished:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
What Flavour was it...them Pickled Onion, are well known for upsetting drivers assistance things...lol

.....make yer eyes water too so ye canny see where ye going Scotty!! lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
.....make yer eyes water too so ye canny see where ye going Scotty!! lol

Them Walkers Pickled Onion, would even bring a tear to any front camera eye on a car...potent they are.....lol

Think I remember a while back on top gear or similar they drove towards a cardboard box covered in tin foil same thing happened car put the anchors on sharpish !

Reactions: Simon L
I would assume it would be following drivers fault if a crash did occur.....but in the meantime you may have had a smack in the mouth and told in no uncertain terms about the standard of 'your' driving.

Can the system be adjusted?

I keep telling y'all, nothing good ever came of these nanny devices!!

Think I posted this before but I damn near totalled mine in a multi-storey about a week after I collected for no other reason than I was parking using the rear camera and completely failed to carry out the usual awareness checks. Not a cat in hells chance that would have happened if I'd been parking normally!!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Oops sorry, I breached rule 2 with my joke about the new flavour of diet crisps :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
I keep telling y'all, nothing good ever came of these nanny devices!!

Think I posted this before but I damn near totalled mine in a multi-storey about a week after I collected for no other reason than I was parking using the rear camera and completely failed to carry out the usual awareness checks. Not a cat in hells chance that would have happened if I'd been parking normally!!

Hmmm you may be right:

Obviously it was a pretty freak incident, having a foil line pack of crisp fly exactly in front of the sensor of the car,but could have been nasty. Question is whether the benefits such as a possible prevention of a real crash outweigh this negative?

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
That is a good question. I guess manufactures are always looking to improve to ideally a system that can detect mass or volume from a single radar or camera.

In the meantime I'd leave it on and carry a spare pare of Calvins in your glove box.

Cut out the tech crap, these things will only lead to trouble. Like the stupid autonomous cars we are supposedly getting eventually. Will Audi and others take the blame if they crash, or does the law still require a 'driver' to be in control.

Either way if someone goes into the back of you, they are not leaving the appropriate room or paying attention regardless to what causes the car in front to stop.

Obviously it was a pretty freak incident, having a foil line pack of crisp fly exactly in front of the sensor of the car,but could have been nasty. Question is whether the benefits such as a possible prevention of a real crash outweigh this negative?

I often get things flying in front of the car - especially on motorways at speed, when you can't change lanes.

Often carrier bags / bits of plastic etc. I make a habit of ignoring them and just continuing and then look in rear view mirror to check they haven't got caught on/under the car.

I really wouldn't fancy bracing myself for a slam on if they turn out to be foil......especially with a truck behind. :/

Reactions: JohnM100
Lmfao think a bit of pee came out then.

Funniest video I've seen in a long time! Epic fail, that must have hurt some too. Lol

G

These self braking systems only work up to certain speeds not motorway speeds,my focus had it,but above 29 mph it deactivated,it worked once in the whole 2 year's l had the car, was flying into the driveway, car thought l was going to hit the fence and stopped itself found it quite amusing,but for a crisp poke to activate it l really think there must be more to it,,fault or glitch

These self braking systems only work up to certain speeds not motorway speeds,my focus had it,but above 29 mph it deactivated,it worked once in the whole 2 year's l had the car, was flying into the driveway, car thought l was going to hit the fence and stopped itself found it quite amusing,but for a crisp poke to activate it l really think there must be more to it,,fault or glitch

Shame you didn't get a video of that epic kangaroo in the drive there J sounds awesome!! lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
Same happened to me about a week ago, ended up turning it off in the mmi after that.