ongoing issue with a1 - spluttering, white smoke, now EML!!!!!

macca-sline

Reaction score
hi all, new to the forum but not new to audi or Vag, looking for some advice, we have a 2011 A1 sline(1.4tfsi 185bhp) with S-tronic.. bought direct from audi, with low mileage, was around 40k when we bought it 2 years ago now on 48k (ish) fair to say since buying it had a few issues with it luckily all were covered under warranty, but in true dealership style i think i was fobbed off the last and quite major problem, it all started around september 2015 when my wife one day told me the oil light had come on and the car seems to be running a little spluttery and lumpy, okay no big deal i know these engines are prone to use a bit of oil although i did think surely it shouldn't have used enough to trigger the oil light and running lumpy didn't sound good news either, anyway, put a little in got it topped up, oil light off no problem, literally weeks later back in the same situation wife tells me oil light is on and its spluttering quite bad, which i checked out and was almost as if misfiring on a cylinder,... so i repeat with a litre of oil, following this contacted Audi who advised this didn't sound right with the spluttering and was using too much oil, booked in (still under warranty at this point). Audi did a report on the car and confirmed that something didn't seem right, and that it is using too much oil to which they asked us to do an "oil consumption test" over a couple of months and monitor when and how much oil i was having to put in... after this it went back and was diagnosed that the whole entire problem was to do with faulty oil injectors (me far from convinced, more like valve stem seals or maybe even piston rings) anyway who am i to argue with Audi they obviously know what they are doing they built the thing. I'm told the injectors were replaced and levels checked all okay take it away test it, so we did and up until last week so far so good, not had to put any more oil in and engine running sweet as a nut.... YEEEEEY!!!!!!! FIXED!!!!

however...... last week myself and wife tootling along to go shopping, slow down for a junction auto box drops from 4th to 3rd to 2nd, then mrs puts foot down to speed back up, splutter splutter, cloud of white smoke, EML light comes on, "choice words used" after the splutter and smoke, car picked up and carried on running okay... managed to get us there and back. once home i plugged it into VCDS which has revealed these codes and diags, i have rang and booked car in with Audi (although no longer in warranty) but IMO never fixed properly in the first place, so the battle begins now.... can anyone shed any light on my issues anyone had similar or any techs on here that can make sense of the codes:

4 codes popped up, of each of the below, not sure if these sensors are duplicated or just registered it twice for some reason....

P0108 - MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE / BAROMETRIC CIRCUIT HIGH

P0113 - INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH

any help to shed light on our issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Marc :)

Have the spark plugs been replaced they seem to cause issues (maybe not connected but worth changing more frequently then recommend schedule)

I can't comment on the technical side, however Audi should honour this under warranty as it is the same issue they 'tried' to fix. I was in the same boat with a major gearbox issue on my 185. I told Audi about it under warranty and they thought they had 'fixed it' - just two months after my warranty had expired, the gearbox started playing up again and it had to be replaced - this was still done under warranty although it had actually run out as the initial problem was diagnosed in the warranty period.

You should be covered under warranty as you raised the issue in warranty. Good luck!

Sad to hear of your problems macca-sline but I have to say 1-week since purchase (and I didn't even see it before handing over the deposit, or drive it before handing over the balance) and I'm H A P P Y with my A1 Black Edition 185bhp and cannot fault it other than what I expected i.e., a myriad of different tyres (thanks Audi, tsk :sadlike:) and rusty brake hubs (thanks again Audi but just north a single moan :sadlike:); new 4 x new tyres now fitted and new brake discs and pads to be replaced tomorrow - Le Mans and F1 coverage dependant. The EBC discs I ordered 'verbally and directly from EBC didn't fit' (neither front or back :sadlike:) so am now fitting STD OEM Audi; all OEM discs now coated in clear POR15 if only to prevent rust; and to be sure, they won't rust now... :yahoo:

P1030466x