** Oil Pressure - Please help **

Metcalfb

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2006 Audi A3 2.0T. Just recently I developed an odd situation.

Once the car warms up, I get a "Oil Pressure" warning on the dash. A few things I've noticed though is that the light only comes up while moving and in gear while the RPMs are BELOW 2k. Above 2k it shuts off. Stopped and at idle it doesn't turn on either. The motor never sounds any different.

I've changed the PCV, Oil pressure sensor, oil and filter.

I did use an Audi filter and Mobil 1 5w40 Full Synthetic.

No codes on dash. But I have stopped driving it once the light appeared. Other than testing it out after the changed parts.

One last thing to note, I tried pulling the oil cap off while motor was running and it had great suction. Almost seemed as though the car started to idle higher, but still idling smooth. But didn't leave the cap off to see.

The car is completely stock with 90,000 miles. I was going to drop the oil pan and check for sludge, but I didn't think the 2.0 had the sludge issue that the 1.8's did. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas on what to check next.

The oil pick up pipe would be the next thing to check. Anything that has been on Audi's longlife servicing can run into sludging issues later on in life.

Yeah I'd check the oil pick up pipe as your symptoms tie in with that.
I wouldn't drive it anymore until you resolve this or it may cost you a a fortune to fix.

The pick up pipe on mine caused my warning light, but i still sometimes get it.

Does anyone have an image to show where the oil pressure sensor is located. book says to the right of the oil filter? but i cant find it, and a friend couldnt either.Thanks.

The pick up pipe on mine caused my warning light, but i still sometimes get it.

Does anyone have an image to show where the oil pressure sensor is located. book says to the right of the oil filter? but i cant find it, and a friend couldnt either.Thanks.

This is the only picture I could find when I changed mine... The actual picture I took is where it's behind. Easiest to change from topside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to attempt the pickup and see if there's sludge. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find. If anyone has any additional things I should do or look for, please let me know. Thanks again.

Yea second pickup pipe, mine was blocked. I wouldn't run the engine until you find the cause, could cost £££ if oil starvation occurs.
You do need to take off the sump to inspect the mesh part of the pipe. Don't try and clean it or replace just the mesh, replace the whole sump end of the pipe as it is cheap and a more reliable fix.

Yea second pickup pipe, mine was blocked. I wouldn't run the engine until you find the cause, could cost £££ if oil starvation occurs.
You do need to take off the sump to inspect the mesh part of the pipe. Don't try and clean it or replace just the mesh, replace the whole sump end of the pipe as it is cheap and a more reliable fix.

Is it pretty self-explanatory to do once I'm up in there with the oil pan dropped? Or should I search for a how-to in the forums first? Never been inside an oil pan before, but not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Is it pretty self-explanatory to do once I'm up in there with the oil pan dropped? Or should I search for a how-to in the forums first? Never been inside an oil pan before, but not afraid to get my hands dirty.

it is fairly straight forward, there's a pipe that comes down from the block with a metal mesh on it and it's circular on the end. The pipe is attached with a couple of bolts iirc and the whole pipe just wants replacing if there is crud in the mesh.

ImageImageGot the oil pan off, and the pick up tube was partially clogged. Got that all changed, cleaned the oil pan, and went to take pictures before the install and wouldn't you know it.... Had a broken bolt on the gear for the chain. After losing my religion on it, I was able to extract the bolt. Now on the hunt for the correct bolt to fix it and then back to putting it back together. Will keep you all updated through the progress.