Oil Pressure Light Woes

yomster

Reaction score
Hi Forum, I am having major issues with oil pressure in my A6.

At first we thought nothing of it, we checked and it had oil. Then the engine went... it cost £1700+ to repair.

With the new work done, sensors replaced, pipes changed, and pressure test is good, the damn oil pressure light is back!

Anyone else experienced this? I'm afraid to pick the car up from the mechanic, as he claims it could be electrical, but I don't want to take the risk.

Best

Y

....and pressure test is good, the damn oil pressure light is back!

So you have checked actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge? What oil pressure do you get on a mechanical pressure gauge? If the pressure really genuinely is good on a mechanical gauge, then your light will be an electrical issue. Either the sensor is damaged or the mechanic has wrapped some PTFE tape round the threads and preventing a good earth between the block and the sensor. Another possibility is damage to the loom itself while the engine was being swapped.

First thing is first though, stop relying on the "Idiot Light" and get a proper mechanical gauge on there.

The kit linked to by Gaz will help prevent future issues and would have likely saved your first engine, but if the current fault is electrical it won't do anything for you.

Not sure about your engine (need to look it up), but on the 2.0 TDI engine Audi state a minimum oil pressure of 0.8bar at idle and 2.0 bar at 2000 RPM.

Also NOTE that the oil pressure warning light does not come on at idle. Don't ask why, it's bad design by Audi, but you could have 0bar of oil pressure at idle and the light will stay off, it only comes on when the engine revs are above a certain speed and the pressure is still low.

Hence, first thing to do is just get a proper mechanical pressure gauge on there.