Oil + oil filter change

Djuganight

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm thinking in start doing the basic maintenance of my Audi A6 2.5Tdi from year 2000.
Its a 4B model, which I think its the same as C5 Chassis.
My doubts are:
- Where is the oild filter located and how to change it
- What is the correct VW specification for the oil
- How much oil this engine takes, considering the maintenance will include changing the oil filter

Regarding the oil, I was thinking about Castrol EDGE FST 5W-30 but I see there are several variations for this model.

Thanks

4.5 ltr if i remember correctly, Filter is on the top of the engine under the cover (black cylinder with a big nut on it).

As for spec, I use 5-40 castrol turbo diesel, but the official spec is VW50601/VW50700

Ok.
I normally change the oil and filters from my other cars, but this one has always gone to vag specialized garage. Since this is getting very expensive I will try to do it myself.
The manual says 5.5l of oil but my biggest concern was the oil filter location and procedure to change it.
Since its in the top part of the engine, I'm then able to change the oil by vacuum pump without the need for lifting. Good and simple

Did your oil filter come with 2 large o'rings.
I have just got one but not sure where the second o'ring goes.
Anybody tell me where it goes.

One to replace the one on the black cap.....guess you got a branded filter with seals for other models?
Should also get a new soft metal washer for the drain plug.
Coat the new filter with clean oil before closing off to prevent any risk of dry running.
Clean out the housing before fitting the new filter.
Watch the drain plug as some strip thread easily use only finger pressure till its tight.

Reactions: Alan Gunn
Thanks for that.
Didn't think about it fitting other cars.