Oil level sensor fault

Bigdave78

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2006 A3 and when it went to the mechanic last he changed the oil and the oil level sensor as it was coming up with an error.

unfortunately with the new sensor in place the yellow fault light still appears in the dash when I start the car (from warm or cold) however I discovered that if I start the car (from cold) and turn it off within about 20 seconds the oil light stays off for the entirety of that journey. If I restart it when warm the fault light remains on.

The dip stick level is fine

it’s due an new oil service again and wondering if it’s worthwhile to change the sensor for a 2nd time just incase it’s faulty
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Yep annoying that fault, I have it too and seems it’s potentially a partially broken wire. I have followed this post below but yet to find where the fault lies as it doesn’t appear to be the wiring from the sensor back to the 6 pin plug under the NS headlight.

Hope you find the fault and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply 34stuey however I don’t think it’s a wiring issue.

I’m saying this because when I start the car from cold, run for anything up to 30 seconds, turn off then on again the light doesn’t come on.

I’m thinking it’s a faulty sensor (and hoping too) however the question is why did it appear in the first place to make the mechanic change the sensor.

due an oil change now soon and reluctant to change sensor but might have no choice.

thanks for your reply!!!

The symptoms suggest that once the engine is at temperature the electrical connection is restored, so the thinking is that the heat from the engine has expanded the faulty connection hence why the warning disappears.
As the oil is coming out I would replace the sensor, and the sealing ring, to rule it out. Had a faulty new spark plug on another engine and it took me months and a lot of £££ replacing other non faulty parts to discover it, v annoying

The symptoms suggest that once the engine is at temperature the electrical connection is restored, so the thinking is that the heat from the engine has expanded the faulty connection hence why the warning disappears.
As the oil is coming out I would replace the sensor, and the sealing ring, to rule it out. Had a faulty new spark plug on another engine and it took me months and a lot of £££ replacing other non faulty parts to discover it, v annoying
Hmm, but you say “run the engine anything up to 30 seconds”, it wouldn’t get warm in that time, ignore my thought but replace the sensor…

Thanks for advice 34stuey

will replace and let you know.

Reactions: 34stuey