Oil in spark plugs

Briyasan

Reaction score
Hi guys need a bit of advise please. I have recently changed the spark plugs on my 2.0t A4 B8 and have discovered oil in two of four spark plug housing. The worse one is the one toward the front of the car. The second one is not too bad and the rest are dry. I have search the internet and issue seems to point toward valve cover gasket. However I took my car to the Garage today and was told that he don't have to tool to replace it as you need special tool to take cams, chain and tensioner out. Is this sounds about right? I've watched YouTube video they didn't required any of those tools..?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Should be easy job, pcv off, any other vac and pcv lines off, coil pack wiring and coil packs out. And that should be pretty much it go at any bolts holding the cover on. No cams or tensioners need touching.

Reactions: Sibmets and GAS MONKEY
Should be easy job, pcv off, any other vac and pcv lines off, coil pack wiring and coil packs out. And that should be pretty much it go at any bolts holding the cover on. No cams or tensioners need touching.
Is there another layer of gasket below the cams? Come across YouTube video and it looks like there's another gasket set below the cam but still don't understand stand why the cam tensioner etc need to be removed.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yes the tensioner will probably be bolted to the head and there may be a gasket for this. But if your leak is into the spark plugs then this is normally part of the main cover gasket, so no need to take tensioner off it would be pointless.

None of this is from experience btw i've had a couple of 2.0tfsi but never done this, but in general thinking about the way they are normally designed it would just be the one gasket you would need to do which is separate from the tensioner gasket inside the cover.

Just realised what you were getting at, yes there would be cam seals which you would need to remove cams to replace. But if you've not got a leak from the cam seals then there's no point. It won't help the leak to spark plugs.