Oil in spark plug holes

themanthatcan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi!

I noticed the when I removed my old coil packs the other day that they were a bit dirty but was in such a rush to get the new ones in that I didn't pay much attention.

After a closer inspection of the packs it looks like oil on the ends. I was planning on swapping out my spark plugs tomorrow but am now wondering if I need to whip off the cam cover at the same time and replace the cam cover gaskets. Does this sound about right..I understand that's the usual cause of oil in the spark plug holes?

Ta,
Andy

Ye i changed my cam cover gasket few months back took me about 3 hours but thats because i cleaned everything while i was taking it out.

lol nik you clean freak didnt you do the arches too?

I was just thinking (doesn't happen very often!!). I had my cam chain tensioner replaced only 3 days ago at an Audi dealer. Surely they would have replaced the gasket set at the same time seeing as the cover was off?!

I'm now wondering if the oil on the coil packs holes was just left over from a previous gasket leak and I just need to swap the plugs out to clear it up completely. Is there any way I can tell if the gasket has recently been changed without taking the head off?

Ta!

:arco:Ye i know when i take things out i go all out and do a spring clean!

The only way i think you can tell if the gasket has been changed is if theres new splodges of gasket sealant on the 4 corners of the cam cover. Or better still ask the dealer

Have just been out and changed the spark plugs for Bosch Super4s. There was oil all over the tops of the plugs and the bottoms of the coil packs but closer inspection has shown that there's a new cam cover gasket in place already so I just cleaned things up and will check in a few weeks to make sure the oil hasn't returned.

Have also cleaned the throttle body today and replaced the temperature sender so things are running sweet as a nut.....for now!!

Thanks for your help guys.