OEM Cat Replacement

L e o

Reaction score
Car has been off the road for just over 3 months ( long story ) but I’ve got the EML light on with fault code P0420 ( catalyst system bank 1 efficiency below threshold ) so it looks like the cat is on its way out and not doing it’s “job” ( was also flagging this up intermittently before being off the road ) is there a sports cat I can do a direct replacement with ( any links appreciated ) as I want to keep the car OEM without any straight through pipe and mapping ? Cheers all - Leo

Reactions: Sandra
Isn't it more expensive to replace the cat?

I would just cut it out and switch off the Lambda sensor via mapping. Remember that you don't have to do any performance mapping (you want to keep car OEM).

Alternatively installing a mini cat cat fooler is also a choice

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

You would need to have a stage 2 or custom map to fit a sports cat due to the effects of the reduced back pressure. There's not too much difference between a good sports cat e.g. Scorpion and a decat in real terms.

I asked about running a sports cat with my existing stage 1+ map and my tuner said it wouldn't run correctly and could cause damage.

Does not require mapping. Expensive compared to the sports cat version that does need to be mapped

Car has been off the road for just over 3 months ( long story ) but I’ve got the EML light on with fault code P0420 ( catalyst system bank 1 efficiency below threshold ) so it looks like the cat is on its way out and not doing it’s “job” ( was also flagging this up intermittently before being off the road ) is there a sports cat I can do a direct replacement with ( any links appreciated ) as I want to keep the car OEM without any straight through pipe and mapping ? Cheers all - Leo
I would look for a lightly used original replacement it would be the easier option and guaranteed to not cause issues. Check you are not having lambda sensor issues though before replacing the cat.