ODB codereader recomendation

widdy

Reaction score
Hi,
got a couple of issues with tabby so trotted of to Machine mart and bought the midrange ODB2/EoBd codereader, it wouldn't link so trotted back and tried the low end code reader, same problem wouldn't link to the car....

has anyone else had this kind of issue and can anyone recommend a codereader that will link to tabby? shes a V reg.

Right still no go, been through all the threads regarding ports, drivers etc but still cant interface
after 2 code readers and a laptop is this a sign of something worse?

Are you putting the ignition on when trying to read?

Are you putting the ignition on when trying to read?

Yep ingnition on, also tried with engine running
blue light on cable
correct port chosen (in my case port 4)
Running as administrator

have reinstalled drivers and software a couple of times just in case

If you cannot get any read with 3 different devices and you get power but not a connection then it might be that one of the pins in your car diagnostic connector is worn out and doesn't give a (good) connection. Specifically the diagnostic pin which number in the port I cannot remember.

I've seen the problem of the connector pin (or the cable pin, in the end with that case I didn't know) being too worn and not giving a connection. Took a piece of wire, connected it into the right diagnostic pin on the car port and took power from the battery with right grounding. All connected to the cable plug to the right pins, and voila we had a connection. You have to know the mapping of right pins though (in the car port and on the cable) and have some way of connecting them all together.

However this might not be your case so you could first just try contacting someone who has a OBD cable and has used it on the car before (so has some experience) and let him try to connect yours. That way you can be sure you are doing everything right and if that doesn't work you can move on to more uncomfortable options.

V reg is AGU engine which ME3.8.3 which is pre OBD2, you need a VAG specific scanner covering 1990 - 2001, VAG had there own protocol to fault find before it was a legal requirement through OBD2.

I bought a Vgate 450 just to read and clear codes, i wish i'd just bought VCDS so i could data log

win7 but I can go down to xp if needed

stripped out the console and checked the wiring

pin 4 brown +12v coming through
pin 5 brown +12v coming through
pin 7 greyishblue +12v coming through
pin 9 green/black 0.07v coming through
pin 16 red/white +12v coming through

I even wiggled the pins out and poped them directly onto cable in right order for a direct connect.

I have tried an OBD2 and an EOBD scanner with no interface so the EOBD should have worked as it's pre 2001? or not?
VCds cable also cant interface....

VCDS-Lite works with most 3rd-party "Dumb K-Line" interfaces
as well as the following ancient low-tech Ross-Tech Interfaces, the last of which we sold early in 2004:
ISO-COM, FAST-COM, MAX-COM, BI-COM, TWIN-COM, and UNI-COM.

VCDS-Lite works with all standard versions of Windows, from Windows 95 though Window 8.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows builds work fine, but if you're using a 3rd-Party USB interface, keep in mind that it is your interface supplier's responsibility to provide a driver for his hardware. If you are using Windows 8.1, VCDS-Lite should work fine once installed, but the installer may not run unless you run it in XP (or anything other than 8.1) compatibility mode.

VCDS-Lite does NOT work on Windows RT
Windows RT runs on devices with ARM (instead of x86) CPUs and normal Windows programs like VCDS-Lite simply do not work on them.

The default installation folder is C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS-Lite\
If allowed to install in the default location, it should not interfere with an existing Ross-Tech software on your PC.

To remove older versions, simply delete the shortcuts from your Start menu and Desktop and delete the old folders which are normally:
C:\VAG-COM\ or C:\VAG-COM-Beta\ or C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\ or C:\Program Files\VAG-COM-Beta\

may help

VCDS-Lite works with most 3rd-party "Dumb K-Line" interfaces
as well as the following ancient low-tech Ross-Tech Interfaces, the last of which we sold early in 2004:
ISO-COM, FAST-COM, MAX-COM, BI-COM, TWIN-COM, and UNI-COM.

VCDS-Lite works with all standard versions of Windows, from Windows 95 though Window 8.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows builds work fine, but if you're using a 3rd-Party USB interface, keep in mind that it is your interface supplier's responsibility to provide a driver for his hardware. If you are using Windows 8.1, VCDS-Lite should work fine once installed, but the installer may not run unless you run it in XP (or anything other than 8.1) compatibility mode.

VCDS-Lite does NOT work on Windows RT
Windows RT runs on devices with ARM (instead of x86) CPUs and normal Windows programs like VCDS-Lite simply do not work on them.

The default installation folder is C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS-Lite\
If allowed to install in the default location, it should not interfere with an existing Ross-Tech software on your PC.

To remove older versions, simply delete the shortcuts from your Start menu and Desktop and delete the old folders which are normally:
C:\VAG-COM\ or C:\VAG-COM-Beta\ or C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\ or C:\Program Files\VAG-COM-Beta\

may help

yep that did the trick, DOH,
downloaded the lite version and works fine