OBD Hardware+Software reccomendation

Indicava

Reaction score
Hey,

I've seen quite a few solutions online for OBD port based diagnostic/coding hardware and software. Stuff like:

https://obdeleven.com/en/
https://caristaapp.com/
and I think I even saw something from Ross-Tech(?)

(to name a few)

Can anyone recommend a specific product based on their experience. I'm looking for something that could provide me with a nice smartphone based basic diagnostic dashboard, bust also support deeper diagnostics and perhaps some coding (later on).

Another side question, is the hardware compatible? I mean can I use one solutions OBD adapter with another vendor's app?

Thanks!
-E.

I have only tried Carista. It’s very easy to use but less powerful than OBDeleven. OBDeleven allows you to code your own changes I believe.

I use Carista with their dongle now but previously had it working with a 3rd party device but that stopped working recently for some reason.

I think they are a good investment if only for fault code reading. I bought Carista for a previous (non VAG) vehicle. If I was starting fresh I would probably get OBDeleven for an Audi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have only tried Carista. It’s very easy to use but less powerful than OBDeleven. OBDeleven allows you to code your own changes I believe.

I use Carista with their dongle now but previously had it working with a 3rd party device but that stopped working recently for some reason.

I think they are a good investment if only for fault code reading. I bought Carista for a previous (non VAG) vehicle. If I was starting fresh I would probably get OBDeleven for an Audi

Thanks for the input!

I actually just realized that OBDeleven don't have an iOS compatible App. Thats a deal-breaker for me, so I think I'll go with Carista for now. It's a shame since Carista doesn't support coding at all. But I guess once I "get there" (coding I mean) I'll probably go with Ross-Tech anyway.

Cheers,
-E.

Reactions: gringosteve
Don't you need a subscription for Carista ? I'm sure I read something somewhere about £9.99 a month.

Don't you need a subscription for Carista ? I'm sure I read something somewhere about £9.99 a month.
You get a month free unlimited when you choose the yearly subscription.
I used it for the month, cancelled the subscription so got charged nothing. Then signed up for the beta programme where you don’t get charged anyway

Reactions: kevpuk and Neil C
Would I, then, be right in thinking that OBD11 is subscription-free, albeit slightly more expensive to start with ?

If you got in early on Carista there was no subscription. Pro was something like £9.99 for life :)

OBD eleven is superior and pro version is under £100 you can use built in apps using credits (£2 for 10 credits approx.)

I think it’s worth it even buying a cheap android phone or tablet to use.

OBD eleven is superior and pro version is under £100 you can use built in apps using credits (£2 for 10 credits approx.)

I think it’s worth it even buying a cheap android phone or tablet to use.

Already have both Android phone and tablet, so OBD11 might be the best way to go.