Numberplate light holder problem

munchkincoupe

Reaction score
Recently got LED bulbs for numberplate lights from t8ups to replace the naff LED ones I got from ebay. Left side one has stopped working so I ordered some of the allen key bolts from ebay to replace the garbage cross head screws that Audi fitted to the housings. I have changed the bulbs a few times now and they have rounded off badly. Gone to replace the screw in the housing that isn't working and it wasn't holding the hosuing in tight anyway. The bulb looked fine. Fitted the allen key bolt into other side and it fitted perfectly. Fitted it in the left side and it won't push the housing all the way in - what next then ?

1) get a replacement standard housing from Audi?
2) get a pair of replacement housings with the built in LEDs from ebay?
3) Is the thread section that the bolt goes into knackered and I'm going to have to bond it in?

Thanks for your help

I think the screws are just self-tappers into the plastic. If the screws you are using don't have a sharp point, they may be bottoming in the hole before pulling the light into place. I put one of mine in at an angle and it wouldn't tighten, so I had to really screw it hard :sorry: to get it tight. You should have an easier job with Allen keys!

Can I fill the original hole with something (suggestions on product) and then retap it then?

Why, are the holes too wide? You'd be better off with screws the next size up. (Thickness, that is. :))

Right I can't get the allen key bolts to budge so I'm going to break the plastic light housing instead. Anyone got any advice on where to try and break the housing first to risk as little damage as possible!?

OMG - never want to do that job again - took just over an hour to drill out the plastic around the screws (being careful) and then had to twist out the rounded allen key bolts with tin snips - one side wouldn't budge so I had to use a dremel to cut slot in the top of the bolt

Really feel for you, Fella. I had to do the exact same job last year after complete rounding off of an OEM Dairylea numberplate light screw. Never want to have to do that EVER again!! :( :wub: xx