Number plate lights

silverfox666

Reaction score
One of mine has gone, and it's the old yellow colour. Can anyone recommend a decent 'white' light replacement? I assume an LED will do it. Mine's a 2010 plate, and have heard these should take the LED replacements? Have searched for this but am finding conflicting info. Anyone done it?

Thank you B5NUT. My our thread link is very good...

However, I notice your car already had LED number plate lights, whereas mine hasn't (but dies have led tail lights and xenons). So that was my original question, will Audi LEDs work without error, considering mine has the yellow lights at the moment?

I guess it's all about the canbus if I buy elsewhere. Going to halfrsuds today to see if they sell them.

My car too running with these number plate lights with no problem and without warning in cluster. 4H0 943 021 and 4H0 943 022 is from new A8 and with these ray of light is much better than products from China. :)

I fitted white LED number plate lights but went back to the original yellow ones.
I didn't like the reflection in the bumper, looked like there were lights above and below the number plate.

Did you use these 4H0 943 021 and 4H0 943 022 ?

No idea, but looked the same as this.

WP 20140408 005 zpse2dd1eb4

Hi, very frustrating at the minute! Have finally got the number plate covers off and got new screws to replace the ruined ones. Got some LEDs from halfords (read reviews and they are supposed to be canbus). Fitted them and I get the error. Oddly when I replace just one of them (so there is one led and one halogen fitted), they both come on and there is no error. But when I fit both LEDs, they flash on briefly and then throw up an error. Any idea please? What am I missing? Do I need to reset something?

Thanks

If they state can-bus compatible then send them back or try replacements there is nothing you can do on the car to make them work. if the central electric module does not like what is see connect to the lighting circuit then it simply shuts down power to that circuit.

Reactions: silverfox666
Thank you mate. How annoying then! No point in fiddling anymore. I did hesitate buying from halfords too, but just happened to be in there. Will return and source some off internet. Your explanation explains why they flash on then and then stay off. Still odd that it works with one led and one halogen though!

I've just done an hour round trip to swap the bulbs, for ones that actually say 'canbus' on the website and I still get the same issue! Tried all different ways round for the bulbs and still same issue. I reckon there's a problem with my car OR more than likely the halfords canbus LEDs aren't can us at all.

Think your car is working fine as the standard bulbs don't bring up any errors, I'd bin them and fit the OEM ones.

Guys, have you tried site sponsor @t8ups for replacement bulbs. :) x

B5nut. Found these codes on one of your threads. Are these entire units or can I just buy the bulbs do you know? I've asked for led bulbs off Audi and as they've gone off my number plate they said they don't have them... So have told them to ignore my reg!!

4H0 943 021 and 4H0 943 022 - are these entire units?

Yes, these are the number for the lights.
These are what you will get
WP_20140405_001_zps67d54a72.jpg

Cheers, so they look like all in one units? Can I not replace the bulb? I ask as I have just bought the casings as they got damaged when taking the old ones out. They cost me £18. Maybe I could take these back to Audi and get the above units? What car are they actually from?

4H0 943 021 and 4H0 943 022 are from Audi A 8 2011Y

Ah ok, thanks. Might get a pair tomorrow then and doth my other attempts (plus return the other bits to halfrds and Audi!).

They are from an A8 but they work perfect on the A6 . They are an all in one unit Audi don't sell any LED bulbs that I know of.

Cool, will sack off the bits I have and get these units. £30 aren't they?

Why do you want to make your number plate easier to read?
Dimmer the better.

... this is why... because they look miles better IMO!

IMG 0024
IMG 0023

Thanks B5NUT for the advise. I got the OEMS in the end off the A8 - they were £35.

Reactions: B5NUT
... this is why... because they look miles better IMO!

What ever turns you on :uhm:

Also agree when you have LED rear lights the matching LED number plate lights complete the look.

Bit of a strange one... Had the bulbs fitted since January with no probs. yesterday I got an error flash up about a number plate bulb error. I've checked the bulbs by switching the ignition off and on again ( with the lights on), and they stay on briefly until the error comes up and then switch off. What could cause this to happen after 4 months? I did an mmi firmware update about a month ago and until today - everything was ok. Could it be something like moisture in the contacts - rather than the car 'rejecting' the LEDs?

Correction- just checked by turning ignition on and off and the passenger side one isn't lighting up, the drivers side one flashes twice. So I guess the very expensive bulb has blown already. Bought it from Audi so am going to get them to replace FOC (hopefully!).

Audi have agreed to swap the soft one. The one that works flashes three times before the error is thrown up, and the other doesn't light up once. So I can assume it is a faulty led. Only problem is I can't undo the crappy screw again!! *** :-(

Could with some advice please... Used car this morning, after trying to undo the screw (and failing) last night. Now the bulb is working with no errors... What is going on does any reckon? Loose connection somewhere?

Corrosion around the contacts? Without taking the LED out it's difficult to say.

Cheers B5NUT, not sure as when I had the units out in January they were fine. As you know I've fitted the 2011 A8 units, so the contact seemed as good as it could get. Wonder if it could be a the connection end where the cable go into the bootlid, down by the eighth and hinge. I cleaned around it a few weeks ago as it was full of dirt? Do these just unconnected do you know? Maybe if one cable has got corroded it could explain the reason why one fails. Although, I'm surprised the car switches the working one off too - surely it's better to have one on than none?!

Sorry for the auto correct spelling! I meant right hand hinge...

Well, got the unit out and couldn't see any signs of corrosion on the contacts. Checked the wiring end in the boot and can see nothing loose. Audi sent a new unit, so have fitted it and will see how it goes.

Let us know how you get on. I have these fitted and have also had the same error pop up twice. Haven't had to time to run a scan yet - will post if it shows anything up but won't get time until teh weekend now,

M

Ok, will do. All ok so far, but it went 4 months without an error until recently. So very odd that it should decide it didn't like one of the units.

Exactly the same as me tbh. In for about 3 months with no errors, then 2 appeared but have had nothing since - appx 3 weeks ago.

Weird

***! Got the error come up again just now. Just don't get how sporadic it is... I'm tempted to sack them off as its really annoying, and guess will be an not fail too. Shame I threw the old ones away :-( I also hate the yellow look of the old ones. Is there something that can solve this does anyone know?