Not another pre OPF vs OPF thread, SOUND!

hah well yeah that’ll obviously sound a lot louder with all that so it’s not exactly comparable, but that’s my point here do all that stuff and drive it at ‘maximum’ settings and of course it’s going to be a loud noisy thing :).

But as with most things it isn’t all or nothing, if you want quiet they can be quiet too ;)

Apologies if it’s anyone’s on here, but was just walking past Waterloo this morning and a white facelift (couldn’t see up close to know whether OPF or not) and it sounded absolutely terrible, like a Corsa with a cherry bomb on it.

There was no nice 5 cylinder low down throb, it was all just unpleasant noise, coupled with the tinny sound of kids bangers going off as soon as the foot was off the throttle at all.

Would be boring if everyone liked the same thing so each to their own, but it just sounded like a 90s Nova.
Maybe just in comfort mode, it is terribly quiet in that.

Mines always in dynamic and can tell you it’s a lot louder than a Corsa and certainly turns heads for the right reason :icon thumright:

Reactions: Luiggi
Or you sure it wasn’t an S3, I have to double take sometimes to see, now they do sound quiet and a horrible tinny noise?

No, definitely an RS!

It’s weird, do a lot of the same mods they probably had on a V8 and it would likely sound immense!

Reactions: Riko0073
No, definitely an RS!

It’s weird, do a lot of the same mods they probably had on a V8 and it would likely sound immense!
Fair enough mate, they are fairly quiet in comfort as I mentioned but definitely distinguishable as a 5 pot in dynamic

Or you sure it wasn’t an S3, I have to double take sometimes to see, now they do sound quiet and a horrible tinny noise?

Quite a shame really because the engine in the R/S3 is superb and no slouch at all especially with a few bolt ons but the sound is just terrible.. even the big exhaust companies like milltek/armytrix/apr/akrapovic can't save it from sounding either too farty or too tinny with otp crackles mapped in which sound more like popcorn than meaningful pops like the rs3.
Of course it's a 2L but that's not an excuse imo since cars like the i30n sound far better to my ears.

Rs3 best sounding engine under 8 cylinders if you exclude monsters like the gt3 rs so not fair to compare it to the R in that aspect ;) I would be really surprised how many of us would still be in an rs3 if it wasn't for the 5cyl though. Definitely wouldn't be worth the premium over an s3 is it was just a heavily boosted 2L 4cyl like what may be going in the next gen c63:puke2:

Reactions: Riko0073