Northern Rolling Road Meet

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Doesn't DavidT's car sound fantastic! Music to my ears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still lusting after that V6 noise then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif?

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Simon,

Yep put yours up. I will add the explaination that your car had a hose leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simon, glad you did find a problem with your car as it really didn't sound like it was running correctly at all.

Get it back on the rollers once done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Pity Simon had the hose leak as was the only revo S3 in the group as far as I can tell.

I guess the result was pretty under-par?

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
I am confooooooosed... is Simon (with the leaking hose) the same person as SiTaS3 or is that a different Simon !?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jo,

Simon (leaky hose) is a different Simon to SiTaS3.

Hope that solves your confooooooosion..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Christian

ME ME ME ME ME ME

Audi A4 1.8t - leaky hose, no chip - 126bhp 121 lb ft @ 5800 rpm

SiTaS3 S3 - revo map no leaky hose

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif clear now?

Phils RS4 has been Revo'ed - that was down on power as well!

My next chips will be custom ones by a couple of very intelligent people and not a tuning company.

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Now then guys, lets not start a "chip" war.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Some chips have safety parameters built in to avoid high boost at high temps. Sounds fair to me.....

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:Is it because G-Force don't have enough anchor points or because of the type of rolling road? Is it one of these MAHA ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

They claim to have a superior anchor system. I haven't been there before, but after the last visit, they offered to work with a local S3 owner to try and get to the bottom of the issue. 'You learn something new everyday'.

Cheers Phil.

As you say, it would be a shame to travel all that way only to find they are unable to get a decent reading from an S3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AL

In all fairness the G-Force setup looks excellent, I don't think its a MAHA one.
From what I gather they have little experience with Haldex cars and need to play a little bit to learn how to run them on the rollers. If you had one of these haldex controller jobbies that forge sell you'd be ok as you could lock the haldex unit up.
Maybe Phil can have a word with them and see if they can sort out the problems *before* the visit to them ?

Far as chips go I'd be hugely disappointed with the torque figures from some of the cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif hope this can be sorted soon! The inconsistencies between some of the cars indicates more than just higher ambient temps.

[ QUOTE ]
Crafty said:
If you had one of these haldex controller jobbies that forge sell you'd be ok as you could lock the haldex unit up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, the only succesful run from an S3, was one with the 'Haldex Controller Jobbie'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Crafty said:
Maybe Phil can have a word with them and see if they can sort out the problems *before* the visit to them ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone is interested in trying to help them, then I suggest you contact them directly and see what you can do. I'm sure there are plenty of S3/TT owners who would like to go. This event is mainly for RS's, so this issue doesn't impact the day at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
Crafty said:
Far as chips go I'd be hugely disappointed with the torque figures from some of the cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif hope this can be sorted soon! The inconsistencies between some of the cars indicates more than just higher ambient temps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed, I'm hugely disappointed with the figures from Well Lane. The visit to G-Force is to make sure that the figures are correct or incorrect. Everyday driving, and a few runs up a runway, seem to indicate that the car is performing beyond the WL figures.

Time will tell. Let's get the facts on the table after the 31st /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif .

[ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed, I'm hugely disappointed with the figures from Well Lane. The visit to G-Force is to make sure that the figures are correct or incorrect. Everyday driving, and a few runs up a runway, seem to indicate that the car is performing beyond the WL figures.

Time will tell. Let's get the facts on the table after the 31st /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i'm disappointed in mine also - I will be at the Interpro rolling road day in a few weeks so I'll be able to validate what people are saying... Interpro have lots of experience with haldex based cars and it appears to be a good rolling road.

A question that doesn't seem to be answered: is it good to allow the engine to work with higher boost values at higher air temperatures or is it correct that a particular tuner's code pulls the boost back because of this?

Simon,

Think its really a matter of opinion.

Personally I don't see any problem with running decent boost in any conditions provided that the fuelling is correct - i.e. there is no detonation. I guess if you're writing a generic solution you may be forced to drop boost levels as you are effectively mapping blind, if you alter the map for each car you do not need this over protection.

To restrict boost levels on an engine on the off chance of detonation seems a bit over the top and in certain circumstances cause unecessary power/torque loss.

It would be good to see some datalogging being done during rr runs to compare with other cars to watch exactly whats going on with regards to MAF readings, Boost, Knock, Fuelling, Ignition and even more interesting to overlay results from other chips/remaps and stock cars.

Maybe this will help...

This was done at Bruntingthorpe (Fresh Air)

Remember this is Beta code.

13468-RPM%26Boost-PhilT-RS4-BT.jpg

not really, that looks ok too, albeit it not as smooth when holding peak boost, like you say beta code...

Got any more torque & power graphs ?

Ask mitchell if he has problems getting enough resolution on the map...

hmm

AmD rollers seem to spike torque graphs, seen that on some S3 plots, but WL plots are dead smooth.

Are Revo going to attend the G Force runs to play with the code or not ?

Yes they will. Hopefully the code should be near GA by then.

Thanks for your help Crafty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif .

Crafty, if i understand your question correctly, the car has done approx 19k miles since first remap.

On the RR day, the car was on high boost 7, timing 8 for the first run. Then later that day, we switched the car into stock and ran it straight on the rollers without any mileage.

I've done some fresh data logging tonight in stock mode - i'll post the results tomorrow.

GolfTTish, brakes doing ok so far- real test will be 9th June at Castle Coombe so i'll let you know.

OK, managed to finish off some data logging - results available Here . Note that a new DV will be fitted tomorrow and I'll repeat the process.

Anything amiss?

Simon
Boost looks low in both cases. I though standard was 1 bar, and low boost nine was about 1.5bar on an s3. Might be wrong though. Did you log requested boost as well?

John, is requested boost called 'Command Pressure' ie, what the ECU wants.. - if so then this is logged at the same time as intercooler boost and yes I do have these figures. If not, then do you know what the block is for this?

PM me your email and I'll send you some stuff to mull over.

Cheers.

simon
I sent you a PM, but don't know if you got it.

If you didn't, sign into uk-mkivs.net and PM me there. I know my PMs work there.

Hi

Him indoors is looking at tuning options for his S3 and has been playing about with some of the figures from Well Lane to compare them directly on the same graphs. Do you want me to put up some jpgs of the bhp comparisons he's done. We also run an RS2 - so on one of the jpgs he's added the RS2 power curve from the Audi handbook.

Has anyone seen any AMD bhp and torque curves for the S3 as that is another option he's looking at?

Yeah post the jpgs by all means. It would be good to see them.

RE: AmD, I'm sure someone somewhere must have some graphs. Afterall before APR and REVO came along, most people had their cars done by AmD.

AL

Here's the first jpg - comparing the REVO and MTM S3s with an average calculated for the stock S3s.

And a second jpg with Standard S4 curve added.

And a third that includes S2-RS2 info + the RS2 curve from the Audi Manual.

And finally the one comparing the 2 stock S3s and showing the average.

He said he'd do the torque curves tonight.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
I know John has some AmD curves but hasn't got a scanner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently in the process of helping revamp the www.auto-amd.com website, There will be example graphs of all the cars we cover, haven't had time to get them all sorted out yet but should have some soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Arson Panda said:
[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
I know John has some AmD curves but hasn't got a scanner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently in the process of helping revamp the www.auto-amd.com website, There will be example graphs of all the cars we cover, haven't had time to get them all sorted out yet but should have some soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, what about giving us some info on boost figures at the same time?