Nobody's fault but mine...

wideboybloke

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I reversed over a rock. The sickening crunch made me think the damage was worse than it is in reality - see below. Nevertheless, I have felt alternatively angry and sick in the stomach at the consequences.

This morning I called in at my local bodyshop and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the damage is repairable. You may already be aware, but it was news to me that plastic can be reshaped, so they think they can straighten the distortion, smooth the grooves out and respray either the local area or the whole diffuser. I don't mind a local respray because if the new paint doesn't blend 100% with the existing, it will only notice if you get down and look under the car. However, I want the repair done because even though the damage is not immediately noticeable, I know it's there and I take a lot of pride in the car!

The bodyshop said that they would want to take the bumper off to do the work, which might mean that it's just as economical to buy a new diffuser, but we shall see.

I'll post pictures when the repair is complete and my happiness is restored. Has anyone had experience of a similar repair?
20150519 134527
20150519 134732

I feel for you wideboybloke but I'm sure the repair will be perfect and you'll never think about it again - but watch those rocks!

Yeh it's amazing what they can do. I've even seen a bumper almost split into two pieces restored and you can see the join at all