No power after 3" downpipe/decat

73DDY

Reaction score
Evening all!

Firstly apologies if I haven't posted in the right section etc. Haven't really posted here much. Just snooped around gaining knowledge from everyone lol.

Wanted to pick brains, I have had a 3" downpipe and decat fitted today with a milltek cat back. Drove it for about 5miles today and there is a massive power loss! No boost and revs up like a NA diesel. There isn't any CEL on (yet?). Car has been booked in at Stealth Racing for remap on 17th. Been advised by a gentleman called Vince that it's ok to drive for now.

Just wanted to know if this is normal and is it really safe to carry on? Another note, after driving out the garage about a mile down the road (under little throttle on 2nd) car kicked like a diesel stalling but was fine after that. But still underpowered.

Any advice or can someone shed some light on this please?

Oh forgot to mention, it's an S3 1.8T (BAM)

Thanks in advance guys!

I drove mine after a decat for a week or so before mapping, noticed increase in low range torque instantly so not sure what's going on with yours!

Reactions: 73DDY
Fault codes would be a good start.. CEL doesn't need to come on for relevant codes to appear

Other possibility is a hose has blown off... I'd check the one from the turbo to the charge pipe as I would imagine stuff has been removed to help fit the DP...

May not have been put back on properly

<tuffty/>

Reactions: 73DDY
I drove mine after a decat for a week or so before mapping, noticed increase in low range torque instantly so not sure what's going on with yours!

That's pretty much what I was hoping for lol

Fault codes would be a good start.. CEL doesn't need to come on for relevant codes to appear

Other possibility is a hose has blown off... I'd check the one from the turbo to the charge pipe as I would imagine stuff has been removed to help fit the DP...

<tuffty/>

Going to have a look under the bonnet now, I hope it's something like that! Put my mind at ease lol.

Makes sense, could've been they took it off to ease access to install the DP. So I hope! Fingers crossed....thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

H

<tuffty/>

Hi Tuffty,

I have a completely standard S3 8L (BAM225). I am considering doing a decat and downpipe this weekend. Will this provide any gains? will I throw codes, check engine light, limp mode etc. with this mod? please let me know. Reading this thread is making me think twice as this member seems to have lost power.