No multimedia unit in the glovebox

Britishalecu

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just picked up a 69 A4 Avant and I was a bit shocked to see there was no multimedia unit in the glovebox. The space is blocked by a piece of plastic. I have a USB port next to the cigarette lighter under the AC controls and a USB C under the centre armrest.
My previous A4 - 2017 - had the multimedia unit with 2 SD cards + 2 USBs in the centre armrest.

Any idea if the new ones are coming only with this annoying touch screen and nothing else?
It just looks like Audi is trying to cut costs on everything nowadays.
I was a bit frustrated that you could not get Matrix LEDs unless you pay for the top of the range, but the more I look at this new car, the more I regret my old one and I start to think I have made a mistake to change it.

Thank you.

It's been deleted for the UK market, same with my A5 Sportback S-Line 2020MY, but it did all come on my last 2018MY A5 Sportback.

Get a £5 SD card to USB adapter Off Amazon. Plug it into the port in the centre armrest consul and plug your SD card into that.

It's been deleted for the UK market, same with my A5 Sportback S-Line 2020MY, but it did all come on my last 2018MY A5 Sportback.

Get a £5 SD card to USB adapter Off Amazon. Plug it into the port in the centre armrest consul and plug your SD card into that.
Thank you! I thought it was just me. Frustrating anyway.

Is there still somewhere to inset a SIM card for the Wi-Fi hotspot?

Is there still somewhere to inset a SIM card for the Wi-Fi hotspot?
Not in my car and from what HMG1K is saying, not in any of the new models. I presume the SIM is now incorporated somewhere in the main unit.
There is an option through My Audi to buy a package for WiFi.

Hi,

I've just picked up a 69 A4 Avant and I was a bit shocked to see there was no multimedia unit in the glovebox. The space is blocked by a piece of plastic. I have a USB port next to the cigarette lighter under the AC controls and a USB C under the centre armrest.
My previous A4 - 2017 - had the multimedia unit with 2 SD cards + 2 USBs in the centre armrest.

Any idea if the new ones are coming only with this annoying touch screen and nothing else?
It just looks like Audi is trying to cut costs on everything nowadays.
I was a bit frustrated that you could not get Matrix LEDs unless you pay for the top of the range, but the more I look at this new car, the more I regret my old one and I start to think I have made a mistake to change it.

Thank you.

I picked up a new S5 recently . My old S4 (B9) had the multimedia box in glove compartment. I have to admit , I forgot it was there when I went to empty the glovebox before I handed over the car . I hardly used and found a Cd I had been missing for years !

the touchscreen is good .. I’m getting used to it despite limited mileage right now . I’m hoping the voice assistant helps . But the the wheel was fantastic on the pre-facelift , Android auto and CarPlay coexist much better on the new platform , I had lots of problems switching between them before.

I’ve got one USB-c in the arm rest and one type A socket just close to the cigarette lighter . Same setup as A4.
A bit strange choice if you ask me ... I might get a tiny type-c hub.

all manufacturers are cutting corners .. I found the front number plate was attached with sticky pads., fell off after 100 miles.. not what you expect for a near 70k list car . Though that I think was more bad dealer fitting and easily rectified on my end .

Hoping my S5 feels as good as the S4 did after nearly 40K miles ... lets see. I think that’s where you really see cost cutting .. its how well it’s put together and what it feels like after 2-3 years .

hope you enjoy your A4 avant .. I loved mine .. though love the Sportback shape .

On the B9.5 A4 and A5 (talking of the models I know) there isn't a slot for a seperate SIM. The Cubic Telecom package is extortionate, when compared to getting a 100GB data and phone SIM can be had for £11 a month on Vodafone.

Best way around all of this is to mobile hotspot your phone to the car and that works a treat on the B9.5 cars.

On the B9.5 A4 and A5 (talking of the models I know) there isn't a slot for a seperate SIM. The Cubic Telecom package is extortionate, when compared to getting a 100GB data and phone SIM can be had for £11 a month on Vodafone.

Best way around all of this is to mobile hotspot your phone to the car and that works a treat on the B9.5 cars.

Maybe I’m missing something : can I ask what do you actually use the wifi for in car ? In over 3 yrs of the S4, I never used it once .

Maybe I’m missing something : can I ask what do you actually use the wifi for in car ? In over 3 yrs of the S4, I never used it once .

Use the WiFi hotspot so the kids can connect their devices on long journeys. To watch movies, YouTube, message friends etc.

Use the WiFi hotspot so the kids can connect their devices on long journeys. To watch movies, YouTube, message friends etc.

I must be a bit on the restrictive side as don’t allow smartphone use in the back ( or front)... books ok... maybe I need to relent ..

Reactions: OCDaveS4
I picked up a new S5 recently . My old S4 (B9) had the multimedia box in glove compartment. I have to admit , I forgot it was there when I went to empty the glovebox before I handed over the car . I hardly used and found a Cd I had been missing for years !

Glad I read this post, emptied the car today ready to return and have found an SD card in glovebox SD slot... strange I thought the micro usb drive in the armrest usb slot was the one the MMI media was reading.

How do you go about using setting your phone as a mobile hotspot to the car. I have a 2020 A4 but can only use the inbuilt eSim with a cubic telecom data plan. Cant find a way of tethering it to my phone?

In the 2020MY onwards (works on the 2021MY in the market now too), my your phone the mobile hotspot and the car connects to the wifi via that. In your MMI hit the icon for SETTINGS of CAR (I've fiorgotten which one) and there's a wizzard to sort it for you with prompts and username and passwords