New Tyres time

Gsrider

Reaction score
Time to change my front tyres after 14.5k miles. I got the 19's on mine with hankooks and wondered what people have, changed too or recommend? I'd like a good rim protector like on the hankooks.

cheers

I wanted to go with something else but I think this tyre size (245/35/19) is not as common as the old 255 and as a consequence I found choice was limited.
I really wanted Pilot Sports but couldn’t find them for under £200 each fitted so I got another pair of Hancooks on the basis of better the devil you know and also there may be more choice when I need the next pair/set.
After all, I got 23000 odd miles out of the original fronts and they’re not horrible, as you say - rim protection isn’t bad either...

Reactions: Gsrider
Definitely Michelin Pilot Sport PS4s

PS4 the current tyre of choice

PS4 the current tyre of choice

You cannot get PS4 in 245/35/19 93Y though. You can get the PS4S but they're ~£70/corner more than the Bridgestone Assymmetric 3.

You have a few choices @Gsrider:

• Michelin PS4S (best choice if you can stomach the cost)
  • Bridgestone AS3 (very highly regarded and quite cheap)
  • Hankook (like @Pork said, rather the devil you know)
  • Continental SportContact 6 (exceptional performance, but they're known to wear quicker than their competition)
I think for me it would be a choice between the Michelins and the Hankooks. I still have 4.5mm of tread all round, but I'm starting to consider my options so this thread could be quite interesting :) I'd love to hear from someone that has fitted the Michelin PS4S to their B9.

To be honest, I was thinking of just going 255/35/19 when I change them as there's more choice and it's not going to cause any massive issues with your speedo either...

Edit: And they're cheaper than the 245 section tyres too!

To be honest, I was thinking of just going 255/35/19 when I change them as there's more choice and it's not going to cause any massive issues with your speedo either...

Edit: And they're cheaper than the 245 section tyres too!

I'm too risk adverse to go against the OEM spec, but you can get Michelin PS4 in 255/35/19 96Y which is annoying.

Last edited:
I'm too risk adverse to go against the OEM spec, but you can get Michelin PS4 in 255/35/19 96Y which is annoying.

That's fair enough. I don't really see it as much of a risk though to be honest, as the B8 chassis I had before ran on 255's and it's not exactly an revolutionary design change between the two. :) As long as all four are the same width of course!

I actually think the rims are designed for 255s
245s do look a bit stretched on them. 245s probably selected to reduce drag and get a .1 in the CO2 emissions.

Reactions: Daggerit
cheers for all your advice, having conto contact sport 6 fitted on friday