New s4 owner - advice required

Scottishpedro

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been contemplating a new fast Audi for some time although have been tied into a lease on my A4 1.4 TFSi. After much deliberation and lots of helpful advice from you guys, I decided on an s4 and saw a 14 plate with the spec I wanted for a ridiculously cheap price and bit the bullet (after laying a small early termination settlement on my A4). I really wanted red with super sports seats which made the deal so appealing. It was a long day flying from Edinburgh to gatwick and driving home the same day but it was well worth it! The car is a thing of beauty and the drive up was a joy! Other than the £1.45 petrol at the horrible service station just south of Carlisle!

UC0gEI7.png

8NEBeUD.png

O9aKAa1.png

I have a couple of questions. The car has sd card nav which seems a bit out of date, and only seems to have 4 digit postcode search, is there any non dealer way of updating this to seven digit post code search?

Also I bought some 17 inch genuine A4 alloys with winter tyres for use on my A4 last winte, and today I fitted one to try on the s4. The good news is it fitted over the callipers but only just, there must be only a couple of millimetres gap, is this ok? After a short test drive it seems ok, no grinding noises etc. The wheels are 7j rather than the 8j standard wheels, according to the spec below can anyone see any concerns with running these wheels over the winter? I don't want to put any additional stresses on the car components by running non standard wheels but the data for each set seem to match up quite nicely?

F5vYvXg.png

nTkBJwk.png

HCA7Sxy.png

Thanks in advance and no doubt I will be looking for further advice over the next few weeks!

Cheers

Pete

Reactions: ElSpoooel, Bristle Hound and THQuattro
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm very happy with the car so far, power delivery is great and I love quality and planted feeling.

Hi all

I have been contemplating a new fast Audi for some time although have been tied into a lease on my A4 1.4 TFSi. After much deliberation and lots of helpful advice from you guys, I decided on an s4 and saw a 14 plate with the spec I wanted for a ridiculously cheap price and bit the bullet (after laying a small early termination settlement on my A4). I really wanted red with super sports seats which made the deal so appealing. It was a long day flying from Edinburgh to gatwick and driving home the same day but it was well worth it! The car is a thing of beauty and the drive up was a joy! Other than the £1.45 petrol at the horrible service station just south of Carlisle!

UC0gEI7.png

8NEBeUD.png

O9aKAa1.png

I have a couple of questions. The car has sd card nav which seems a bit out of date, and only seems to have 4 digit postcode search, is there any non dealer way of updating this to seven digit post code search?

Also I bought some 17 inch genuine A4 alloys with winter tyres for use on my A4 last winte, and today I fitted one to try on the s4. The good news is it fitted over the callipers but only just, there must be only a couple of millimetres gap, is this ok? After a short test drive it seems ok, no grinding noises etc. The wheels are 7j rather than the 8j standard wheels, according to the spec below can anyone see any concerns with running these wheels over the winter? I don't want to put any additional stresses on the car components by running non standard wheels but the data for each set seem to match up quite nicely?

F5vYvXg.png

nTkBJwk.png

HCA7Sxy.png

Thanks in advance and no doubt I will be looking for further advice over the next few weeks!

Cheers

Pete
@Scottishpedro - Your new S4 looks fab Pete. Congrats buddy !

Nice! I'd say the wheels would be fine. My ones on the B8 RS4 provided by Audi were thinner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My car came with 19" wheels so I bought a set of 18" A4 5 Spokes for winter use which are 8" wide and fitted with 245/40 Michelin Pilot Alpins, I think that when I first looked into this, the "correct" winter wheel being offered by Audi was 18" and 7.5" wide to be fitted with 235/40, (Edit:- wrong, Audi offered 225/45 X 18) with no option to use 17" wheels with these brakes.
So, I think that you should at least advise your insurer what size of wheels you intend to fit for winter use as 17", in my mind, were never given as an option on an S4. Maybe check the tyre/wheel size options on the pressures chart on the door pillar to see if I'm right/wrong.

For what it is worth, my wife's 2015 6C Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL came with 16" alloys, it has 288mm front discs, I have fitted it with VW 15" alloys for winter use - VW do not now offer that size of wheel/tyre on any 6C Polo with 288mm front discs, but generally speaking, VW Group, as far as I know, did not submit that newer version of these cars for type approval, so they are just continuing to use the previous version's type approval which did allow for that size of wheel/tyre to be used. Like you, I find that the clearance is a lot less than any other equivalent car on the road, in my case maybe 5mm running clearance, which seems to be working okay, or has done over the past 2 winters!

Edit:- remember, these wheel "do they fit?" comparision charts ignore any limitation imposed by the brake disc diameter or the calliper intrusion - all they show is other than rolling radius, is how the width or/or offset changes affect where the inner of the wheel/tyre ends up relative to the suspension and the outer relative to the edge of the wing. Typical users of these charts would be going "bigger" and "wider".

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I have been loving the car. It drives really well in D mode and Sport mode is pretty epic! I have noticed in sport and manual mode that the gear change is a bit slower/less slick from 2nd to 3rd than the rest of the gears, I assume this is normal?

Cheers

Pete